OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WGT634U in clientmode, wireless - problems

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

I just flashed my WGT634U router with Kamikaze and it works great! However I want my router to be in client-mode and connect to my other router just like any PC would. Now the problem I'm having is that although it can find my home-network it can't connect to it. This is the commands I'm using to get it into client-mode:

ifconfig ath0 down
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
iwconfig ath0 essid HOMENET
ifconfig ath0 up

and if i write "ifconfig ath0" i get this:

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"HOMENET"  Nickname:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:18:4D:XX:XX:XX   
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=58/94  Signal level=-37 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:34333  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Now, in my routers (the one I'm trying to connecting to) web-interface I can see this:
[img=http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6231/attacheddevicesti0.th.jpg]
the MAC-address at the top is the WGT634U's MAC-address. Apparently it connects to the router but doesn't get an IP-number, and when I try to ping the router or other devices connected to it I get a "sendto: Network is unreachable"-error. What should I do to fix this? And I'm sorry if this is a stupid question wink

Why don't you just change the mode from "ap" to "sta" in /etc/config/wireless, and then type "wifi up"?

Edit: You may also want to add "option network wan" to this section, and "option type bridge" to the WAN configuration in /etc/config/network.

(Last edited by dicks on 24 Feb 2007, 15:09)

The discussion might have continued from here.