OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT as REPEATER! hmm DD-WRT competition...

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Can someone tell me if OpenWRT can be set a Repeater ? I noticed DD-WRT v24 has that feature. Since there is big competition between them, does OpenWRT have plans to implement this feature?

If someone knows how to do it let me know.

Thank you

Kamikaze has had that feature for a while. Simply create a STA configuration and an AP configuration in /etc/config/wireless and assign them to the same bridge type network config, e.g. with 'option network lan'.

Hmm thank you! can you give/refer me to more info for how to configure the actual /etc/config/wireless file to create a vitual interfaces??

If you check out kamikaze, there's a docs/ directory with documentation written in LaTeX

Alright! That was a quick reply! thanks http://openwrt.pbwiki.com helps a lot, i will give it a try

dmytro wrote:

Alright! That was a quick reply! thanks http://openwrt.pbwiki.com helps a lot, i will give it a try

http://openwrt.pbwiki.com is great, but severly outdated in relation to the latest Kamikaze config.

Check out http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Kam … figuration , the aformentioned LaTeX documentation and this forum for more current info.

I haven't tested in awhile, but I'm still trying to get WPA-PSK client mode working with wpa_supplicant and my WGT634U.

support for that will be implemented in /etc/config/wireless soon...

nbd wrote:

support for that will be implemented in /etc/config/wireless soon...

Where did that bribes page go.  Wasn't that on the wiki?
I think you guys deserve some free stuff for all the work you do wink

Hmm I looked everywhere and even tryed figuring it out, no luck! It looks like OpenWRT (Kamikaze too) you cannot create VIRTUAL wireless interface with different SSID...? Thats a dam good feature OpenWRT is missing!!!

you can create a virtual interface with a different ssid (see example below). You just add config wifi-face sections to add more virtual interfaces, the current max is 4 virtual interfaces limited by the driver.

config wifi-device  wl0
        option type     broadcom
        option channel  5
        option distance 200
        option maxassoc 128
config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt
        option hidden   0
        option network  lan
        option encryption none
config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt2
        option hidden   0
        option encryption none

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I am currently working graphical design of Webif^2 for kamikaze and will include a Repeater Mode into Wireless Config thanks for the info!

I am working on the wireless page for kamikaze in webif^2.

Yeah i noticed you are the developer...i just joined....I am mostly in graphics .... but hey you should than write that feature in. The Repeater Mode

Guys, could you give me ready made configurations for the REPEATER please? That wirelless and network config probably(?). Or point me to the resourse if it exists.
Tomorrow I recieve the first in my life router - WRT54G v2.0 smile
As I got I ultimately need Kamikaze tree for the repeater, White Russian can't do repeater mode (virtual net).

I need ideally to listen to open network and organize my private (WEP?, better?) network on top of it.

I read docs but would better start with some proven, working config.

Thanks.

dmytro: Why do you insist on being inflammatory?

whiterussian can only be a repeater via wds bridging

kamikaze can do a ap+sta mode but that isn't a true bridge (mac addresses get messed up, breaks dhcp)

What forum think on the following set up? The idea is to assemble a Repeater, not a Repeater Bridge. Is that correct?

------- /etc/config/network -------------------
config switch    "eth0"
    option vlan0 "1 2 3 4 5*"
    option vlan1 "0 5"

config interface wan
        option type     bridge
        option proto    dhcp

config interface lan
        option type     bridge
        option ifname   "eth0.0"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

config interface loopback
        option ifname   "lo"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

------- /etc/config/wireless -------------------
config wifi-device      wl0
        option type     broadcom
        option channel  5

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     myNet
        option hidden   0
        option encryption wep
        option key   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        option network   lan

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option mode     sta
        option ssid     wireless
        option hidden   0
        option encryption none
        option network   wan

OK, done myself smile

I created Wiki page for those who in doubts:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/Repeater

Appeared it's very easy to set up wireless repeater on Kamikaze. Though it was absolutely no detailed infromation about around. Now it's there.

Ops, can i search the routers of my range, because i need to know if my router can connect to the other.....

Just a quick thing. Great Wiki page, however, on the documentation configuration sample, it seems the Host system, does not seem to have no encryption. Can it be set?

Amazing work OpenWRT people have achieved, I do not finish to be amazed of it, yet.

crewe

I set this up to test on a spare WRT54G v4, and everything works as expected, except I get this message popping up in the terminal:

wl0.1: Invalid argument

and from dmesg:

wl0.1: received packet with  own address as source address

Like I said, everything works as expected, but why is this message so persistent? Is there an easy fix? smile

/etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device              wl0
        option type             broadcom

config wifi-iface
        option device           wl0
        option network          wan
        option mode             sta
        option ssid             'OpenWrt'

config wifi-iface
        option device           wl0
        option network          lan
        option mode             ap
        option ssid             '54Gtest'

/etc/config/network

config switch eth0
        option vlan0    "0 1 2 3 4 5*"

config interface loopback
        option ifname   "lo"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

config interface lan
        option type     bridge
        option ifname   "eth0.0"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.10.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

config interface wan
        option ifname   wl0
        option proto    dhcp

(Last edited by MkFly on 15 Aug 2007, 00:26)

I get these messages too.  Did some quick research, and IMHO they are fairly harmless.  The invalid argument message comes from nas, and the other one comes from the bridge I think?

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=41384#p41384

mbm wrote:

You can't actually "bridge" in client mode, when a client sends a packet to the access point, the packet contains three headers:

[client/source address][destiation bssid/ap's address][destination address]

If you watch the data going through the bridge you'll see that the client is changing the source address to it's own address to avoid confusing the access point. WDS solves this problem with an additional field:

[source address][source bssid][destination bssid][destination address]

Essentially the source address got split into two fields, allowing it to relay the true address instead of having to use it's own address as the point of origin.

So it works, but I'm still not quite clear on whether or not it may cause problems. neutral Plus I'd rather not have the message cluttering up my logs.

(Last edited by MkFly on 15 Aug 2007, 02:45)

The discussion might have continued from here.