OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link WR740N Version 6

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi there, I have already with OpenWRT 15.05.1 firmware on my Router TP-LINK 740N. I want to install "asterisk18" on my router, but i got some error notification like "not enough overlay system file". Can i still install it on my router? or any other way to install on my router? thanks

This is the screenshoot: 

goo.gl/VRdKrM

(Last edited by tiramisubliss on 5 Mar 2017, 13:52)

Just confirming that it is working in the model:
TP-Link WR740N (BR) Version 6

Using the version:
/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v6-squashfs-factory.bin

Installation Method: Using the tplink administrator

Hello router geeks!! my dear openwrt fellas...

please write a 5 lines of tutorial for how to build our own img file and using patches and all.  please do this for everybody.

next time we wont ask... lot of people turn back because there is noway to proceed... bring everybody in to our openwrt community by helping how to compile their own img....

ricardo.jl.rufino wrote:

Just confirming that it is working in the model:
TP-Link WR740N (BR) Version 6

Using the version:
/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v6-squashfs-factory.bin

Installation Method: Using the tplink administrator

could you please attach the link. ??

Great ,thank you ! !

how to upgrade with  sysupgrade.bin?

thanks
it solved my same problem

SERIAL CONSOLE ACCESS

This model has the connectors well visible, which can animate, however they are not soldered, to work it is necessary to make a "jumper" and connect it in the resistors that are next, according to the image:

[img]image.ibb.co/jkvjMQ/TPLINK_WR740_UART.png[/img]

Sorry, but I'm a new user and I can not post images or links. Can someone post the image?!

For more info:
ricardojlrufino.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/openwrt-no-tp-link-wr740nbr-v6/   (PT_BR version)

hey i have a question to ask..

i installed openwrt on my tp link  tr740n v6... then i flashed it using tftp server with the original firmware.

then i made a discovery that this new router / box has a sshd dropbear installed inside. idk how it got here.
anybody can explain it?

I've upgraded router TP-LINK WR740N V6 with

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v6-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

but now i'm not able to access routers page that was 192.168.1.1

If i try to ping 192.168.1.1
I'm getting proper reply there but if try to open page in browser it shows "can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1."

Pls help Urgent

Path for sysupgrade:
/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v6-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Hello everyone here, I have gone through the posts here.. Have downloaded the image for my wr740n v6 EU router. Downloaded TFTP utils and then moved the .bin file to the tftp folder etc and tried to flash it.

I will narrate how to tried to flash the router please tell me if I missed anything or if I did anything wrong

restarted the router with proper ip settings (my computer is at 192.168.0.101)
>tftp 192.168.0.1
>rexmt 1
>timeout 60
>put wr740nv6_tp_recovery.bin

the process starts but gives a timeout.. I tried multiple times please help.
Thanks

(Last edited by anindya.ece011 on 7 Jun 2017, 08:45)

@anindya.ece011     

yes , i had same issuebut i used windows tftp method it worked !!

router should be turned off, then hold reset button, turn it on, still holding reset button , wait untill lights flickering then release!!

(Last edited by narutowindy on 11 Jul 2017, 11:11)

MuruganDurai wrote:
Bal0r wrote:

Any progress on that .bin file for the non tech-savvy folk?

Here you go. This is the .bin file which worked at my router.

h**ps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_w0qR … sp=sharing

I wonder your .config please.

void_runner wrote:

In the previous versions of the firmware this section is NULL.

So what I did was to grab the here published firmware and to add this content on address 0x120, then recalculate checksum, and ... miracle... it was flashed successfully.

Hi,

Awesome job, I understand that you put 00000000;45550000; at address 0x120, but how did you recalculate the checksum and at what location did you write it? I want to do the same for wa701nd (I saw that the same string is added at 0x120)

Edit:
NVM I got it! Here's what I did:
I used the mktplinkfw binary from openwrt imagebuilder on the old firmware (which allows uploading other firmware).
mktplinkfw -i ~/Downloads/wa701nv2_en_3_17_0_up_boot\(140324\).bin

That command told me this checksum is wrong and should be that. Then I searched the old checksum in the file and wrote correct one instead.

(Last edited by jnmbk on 11 Aug 2017, 08:36)

Can anyone help me. I installed an openwrt firmware from wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_tl-wr740n_v6. But it does not come with any web interface or GUI. So I can log-in to 192.168.1.1 to config my own wifi.
Can anyone give me an image for 740N V6 comes with web interface. Thanks a lot!

You installed as snapshot/trunk version of OpenWrt, which do not come with LuCi pre-installed.
There is no release version of OpenWrt with LuCI included available.
Use LEDE instead.

tmo26 wrote:

You installed as snapshot/trunk version of OpenWrt, which do not come with LuCi pre-installed.
There is no release version of OpenWrt with LuCI included available.
Use LEDE instead.

Can you give me that firmware? Thanks a lot!!

See https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_ … *%7E%5D=v6

The 17.01.3 release is currently being built, but not yet available.
You will find the 17.01.3 image in the next days in the above table, or at the respective download location modified for 17.01.3 (i/o 17.01.2 as shown in the links)

Excuse my bad English. I don't really understand what you mean. My 740N V6 is running Chaos Calmer 15.05.1. Can I upgrade from that built to LEDE 17.01.3 above ? Just tell me that is possible or not. And does it have any defect?

ae311290 wrote:

Excuse my bad English. I don't really understand what you mean. My 740N V6 is running Chaos Calmer 15.05.1. Can I upgrade from that built to LEDE 17.01.3 above ? Just tell me that is possible or not. And does it have any defect?

1. Connect to the router using Putty.
2. Download the LEDE .bin file to /tmp
3. sysupgrade -v /tmp/[specified firmware].bin

Hi I need a help. I have tried flashing literally every file from this thread and it just doesn't work (lock led after flash). I tried via admin panel and recovery. I can flash only official newest firmware TL-WR740N(EU)_V6_160325 via recovery.

vicentehernandezsegura wrote:

1. Connect to the router using Putty.
2. Download the LEDE .bin file to /tmp
3. sysupgrade -v /tmp/[specified firmware].bin

I upgraded with non-LuCI version and these steps helped in getting on with LEDE. Thank you.

I couldn't find a device file for the system LED and its no ON. Any suggestions on that ?

Update: - Got it from void_runner's post..

cd /sys/class/gpio
echo 1 > export
echo out > gpio1/direction

(Last edited by lightpower on 15 Feb 2018, 05:13)

Hello all,
I tried my best to install openwrt firmware on TL-WR740N v6.1 but failed. I have downloaded the firmware from the link provided on openwrt Dataentry --> Firmware OpenWrt Install URL
I am not able to see LUCI interface. The lock icon on router is ON. I am not able to access the router on 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.Tried to reset but the router isn't resetting at all. What is the solution? Give me a link of firmware.

Do you see Port LED once you connect your ethernet cable to the router ?

For me the link provided few posts above worked.

The discussion might have continued from here.