OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: procd and watchdog

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Before BB, I have used the watchdog from watchdog.sf.net because I need features like triggering the watchdog if some files haven't changed for a certain time.
Now, I wanted to use the same watchdog with BB, but the watchdog couldn't open /dev/watchdog since it's used by the watchdog that is built into procd. Is there some way to either disable the procd watchdog, or provide the described functionality with the procd watchdog in some way?

I use recompiled procd for watchdog testing.
Also, using watchdog for restart is a bad practice, maybe better try simple "restart" command ?

Hi,
i just finished writing a detailed blog post regarding how to use hardware watchdog and how to manually take control over from procd:

http://kernelreloaded.com/manually-cont … -watchdog/

Over the years there were few questions regarding this and first there was no way to do it (missing magicclose feature) and documentation was lacking even after it was implemented.

Hopefully this helps some people.

If you have any suggestions or comments regarding this blog post feel free to write here or contact me directly.

Cheers,
Valent.

How can I give you a like/thumbs up for this article ? :-)

The discussion might have continued from here.