OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to remove OpenWRT from Netgear R7800?

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I have installed OpenWRT on a brand new Netgear R7800. All went well and was easy peasy. But I wanted to go back to the original Netgear firmware and I got stuck. I first downloaded the latest firmware from the site, reset the router, used TFTP to transfer the file to the router and let it reboot.

But then all went not so well. Now my router has two IP's. When I open 192.168.1.1 I got an error message from OpenWRT saying 'No such file or directory'. When I open 192.168.1.2 Netgear re-routes to the install website, but after that I can't install anything.

How can I fix this guys? I'm totally stuck here. Any tips for me?

Flashing the OEM firmware using the TFTP recovery method should work.

Where did that 192.168.1.2 surface?

You may need to clear your browser cache or use another browser, as sometimes the browser remembers too much.

And I hope that you also rebooted your PC to make sure of the DNS settings etc.

I finally succeeded in updating the router with the stock firmware. I used TFTP to upload an older firmware version. After rebooting I reset the router again and then I finally have the Netgear portal in front of me. Pfeww... thanks for your help any way!

(Last edited by vicje on 25 Feb 2018, 10:14)

The discussion might have continued from here.