OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Need some help with cross compiling (glibmm, arm)

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
Ive just started a new project to attempt to compile museek, a soulseek based daemon for ipq806x devices like my Archer C2600.

I have gotten as far as building the toolchain with all the necessary requirements, and have started to try and compile glibmm, a requirement for libxml++, which is needed to compile museek

After launching the GNU configure for glibmm, make just fails giving me this error

Making all in extra_defs_gen
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/gebn/openwrt/compileme/glibmm-2.4.8/tools/extra_defs_gen'
/bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++  -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-long-long   -o generate_extra_defs  generate_defs_glib.o libglibmm_generate_extra_defs-2.4.la /home/gebn/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/usr/lib/
g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-long-long -o .libs/generate_extra_defs generate_defs_glib.o /home/gebn/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/usr/lib/  ./.libs/libglibmm_generate_extra_defs-2.4.so

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /home/gebn/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/usr/lib/: File format not recognized

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:327: recipe for target 'generate_extra_defs' failed

I'm not exactly linux or compiling savvy, anybody know whats up here?
google yields no results for directories in this field ( /usr/bin/ld: cannot find .... File format not recognized) , just for singular library files, i don't even know what library its trying to look for

ps: some extra info and variables i was using

GLIBMM_CFLAGS=/home/gebn/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/usr/include/
GLIBMM_LIBS=/home/gebn/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/usr/lib/

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=~/openwrt/build_dir/host/pkg-config-0.29.2/pkg-config
checking for arm-openwrt-linux-uclibc-pkg-config... no
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config

./configure --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu  --host=arm-openwrt-linux-uclibc
make

Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread.

Why are you using "configure" .... make system should do all that?

Also, have you put the staging_dir names in your PATH env (~/.bashrc) and logged out/back in ?

Honestly compiling is a completely new territory for me. and i was just using all the wiki and tutorials i could find
i do recall make giving me some issues though, though id try to use configure beforehand would help (?)
I also recall setting the staging dir names in path; but dont recall logging back out and in, maybe that would have solved it.
however i couldnt wrap my head around it back then and just gave up on trying, maybe ill try again another day but until then im using an rpi.

(Last edited by geeebn on 8 Apr 2018, 16:07)

The discussion might have continued from here.