OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Baby Monitor using OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and unfortunately its a question.

I've been searching the forum and the internet for an integrated solution regarding my need: baby monitor (audio and video) to be seen/heard in an Android device.

I already have video thanks to mjpg-streamer. From what I've read using GStreamer will be too much for my router.

Nevertheless I consider audio more important and if I can't have both at least audio... So my question is how to use the mic input from my usb soundcard (using a mic) and stream the audio to a - lets say - android device?

I can only find "players" that use the usb soundcard output instead of the line in and then stream the sound over the lan/wan.

Cheers and thanks in advanced!

This isn't strictly what you asked for but have you considered an old/cheap Android or Symbian phone?

thanks for your message.

I already have that setup working very well using ip cam and tinycam monitor.

But the android with the camera heats a lot and the battery/charger combo I think it will go over the power used by a small tp-link router.

And I do have a webcam with no use... and I would like to try this setup just for the sake of it.

That being said, I did not see anyone trying to stream sound from an openwrt router to the internet, just the opposite wink

Will stream audio from the router to the internet be possible?

Cheers!

Hi pleas look at
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/index.php

Gargoyle  has a plugin for USB webcams if you cam has a built in mic then it mite work throuth the plugin.

Lusitanv wrote:

thanks for your message.

I already have that setup working very well using ip cam and tinycam monitor.

But the android with the camera heats a lot and the battery/charger combo I think it will go over the power used by a small tp-link router.

And I do have a webcam with no use... and I would like to try this setup just for the sake of it.

That being said, I did not see anyone trying to stream sound from an openwrt router to the internet, just the opposite wink

Will stream audio from the router to the internet be possible?

Cheers!

First off, yes it is possible, but as you've discovered, not straight forward.

As for Android, yes it does create heat, and battery can be a concern. However it will almost certainly use less power than your router+webcam setup.

Phones are designed to be as power efficient as possible to make the battery last, routers are designed to operate off a socket at all times. Thus a phone, typically uses <0.01 watts while idle, and no more than 3-5 watts maximum while doing everything at once. Routers often use between 5-10 watts while idle and up to double that when busy. Hence, I never bothered going down the router route so I know fairly little about it smile

I'd get a IP camera integrated into your local network and on the other end I'd use a Android smartphone with an App for it. That's the easiest way to go :-)

Well, it was not the answer I was expecting wink

I can configure the Android video down to 1 FPS and drastically reduce the video size I can have better battery duration and less heat.

The thing is IF I only had this setup: openwrt router, webcam with mic and or usb soundcard with mic and stream the audio.

I will try to find a way to do so and if I find it, I will post it here smile

I thank you all for your time.

Cheers

Luis

Thank you very much for sharing this link, it does address my needs the best way possible.

I will do some testing. However I am already expecting this:

"The main problem for me with FFserver was the delay. It was typically around 30 seconds or so and got worse over time. This is a known problem with FFserver and thus I can't recommend it for real-time use."

Cheers!

Lusitanv wrote:

"The main problem for me with FFserver was the delay. It was typically around 30 seconds or so and got worse over time. This is a known problem with FFserver and thus I can't recommend it for real-time use."

You don't need ffserver. Read the link: ffmpeg will do the job with quite short latency (a second or so) and low CPU load.

rambler wrote:
Lusitanv wrote:

You don't need ffserver. Read the link: ffmpeg will do the job with quite short latency (a second or so) and low CPU load.

Yes you are very right:

FFmpeg

Why Use? If you want a near-realtime reliable stream.

The best solution I found for realtime audio streaming is FFmpeg as it can stream via rtp nativley, with no need to use FFserver. I used the following command:
Code:

ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp -acodec libmp3lame -ab 32k -ac 1 -re -f rtp rtp://234.5.5.5:1234

. This is similiar to the VLC command, except that this time I am converting into MP3 and streaming to the address: rtp://234.5.5.5:1234. Once again, all you need to do is enter rtp://234.5.5.5:1234 as the streaming source in VLC. There are a few huge advantages with this method, first, the CPU usage is only about 25% on my naff little 750Mhz Transmeta Crusoe. Second, multiple clients can connect at once and third, it seems rock solid. I have had this command running for three days straight with no problems. Memory usage seems to creep up over time, but that's about all. I get a delay of roughly 1.5 seconds, but this does not change over time.

I will try this and will give you an update.

As I mentioned before using my mobile phone and drasticaly reducing frame rate and resolution I solved the heat issue and at the same time I won battery life. Of course, an android mobile phone can be connected to a switching power charger and it will use very low power.

Thank you.

Motorola are recommend. We did have movement baby monitor as our son was premature but our consultant said not to use as it will go off all the time and scare you to death - so we didn't.  X

The discussion might have continued from here.