OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to build a fork of github openwrt/packages

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey guys,
I am new to openwrt and I added some functionality to the tinyproxy package.
Before submitting a pull request I want to test my changes.
I forked the github openwrt/packages repo but I am not clear how to have opkg install from the fork.
The opkg documentation I found refers to ipk files and I am confused how this repo ties in.

All the tutorials I can find in the wiki seems to describe a process that builds a firmware image.
I am trying to only build something that I can install via opkg as I don't want to have to reflash my router for testing.

I have a docker instance of noonien/docker-openwrt-buildroot but I think this is still trying to build a flash image.

Can anyone point me to some resources that will help?

Thanks

(Last edited by Munk on 11 Jan 2018, 03:05)

To perform this, you'll need to clone the primary OpenWrt repository as well. Then copy the file feeds.conf.default into a new file feeds.conf.

In this new file, remove all other lines except the line for 'packages'. Then modify the 'packages' line to point to your alternate package repository.

If you forked the packages repository in GitHub, then this should be pretty simple: just update the address shown on the 'packages' line.

If you cloned the packages repository to your local computer and modified it there, then you'll need to modify the line to look like the following:

src-link packages /full/path/to/your/clone/folder

If this does not work, then simply delete the feeds.conf file and modify the feeds.conf.default directly. Just remember to omit changes to this file when committing or making pull requests.

EDIT: With these changes, you can use your local OpenWrt clone to build a firmware image with your update package. The modified package will appear under the bin folder, too, and you can copy it from there manually to your router and install it using opkg, if you do not want to re-flash the whole thing.

(Last edited by Antek on 13 Jan 2018, 15:23)

The discussion might have continued from here.