OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DIR-300 broken after reset to defaults need help.

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello, i have a DIR-300 B1 and after i performed a reset to defaults i can no longer login to the gui when i go to 192.168.1.1 it says "LuCI - Lua Configuration Interface" and thats it. After that it goes to non existing page or something.

How can i get everything working again ?

Edit :

I figure out myself using ssh

opkg update
opkg install luci
uht tpd enable
uht tpd start

but still how i can safely only reset to default settings ?

(Last edited by markokk888 on 7 Dec 2017, 21:41)

This is to be expected.  Resetting to defaults erases the whole overlay filesystem, including any packages that were installed after the initial flash.  If you're running a trunk build, luci will be erased.

The "save and restore settings" can be used to back up the default config files instead.

mk24 wrote:

This is to be expected.  Resetting to defaults erases the whole overlay filesystem, including any packages that were installed after the initial flash.  If you're running a trunk build, luci will be erased.

The "save and restore settings" can be used to back up the default config files instead.

And how i can restore the settings without the gui using ssh ?

I think he is suggesting you use the gui to restore a known working configuration as opposed to doing a factory reset.

Well whatever everything is working now so..

WWTK wrote:

I think he is suggesting you use the gui to restore a known working configuration as opposed to doing a factory reset.

Yes if you use the GUI to reload a configuration, it won't erase any packages.  You could save a configuration as "factory default" if you wanted to.

In general for everyday use you should try to use a stable release rather than a trunk build.  Stable releases include LuCI in the squashfs.   Also the packages on the server won't get replaced with possibly incompatible versions

mk24 wrote:
WWTK wrote:

Yes if you use the GUI to reload a configuration, it won't erase any packages.  You could save a configuration as "factory default" if you wanted to.

In general for everyday use you should try to use a stable release rather than a trunk build.  Stable releases include LuCI in the squashfs.   Also the packages on the server won't get replaced with possibly incompatible versions

But there is no other released for this router except this one wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/d-link/d-link_dir-300_b1_b2_b3 or im wrong ?

I'm using this one "openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-factory.bin"

Also what's the difference between "openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-factory.bin" and "openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" ?

(Last edited by markokk888 on 8 Dec 2017, 21:53)

WWTK wrote:

one is to be used when factory firmware is on device the other if openwrt is there already.

There are actually many others.

Here is one you might try.....

hmm/lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/d-link/d-link_dir-300_b1

You think this one is better ? On a security prospective ?

Generally speaking yes, newer is going to be better from a security and stability standpoint.

tunk wrote:

This router has 4MB flash and 32MB ram which according to this page at best is borderline:
hmm/lede-project.org/meta/infobox/432_warning

So basically lede will be too much for this router hardware ? Also i need luci to work properly.

it is hard to build images to fit in 4mb flash but it is possible and does work.  32mb ram may or may not be enough depending on the packages you want to install.  For a basic router with LUCI its just fine, if you need a bunch of extra stuff, you may run out of space.

Given the small cost of better hardware these days if you can upgrade it so much the better.

WWTK wrote:

it is hard to build images to fit in 4mb flash but it is possible and does work.  32mb ram may or may not be enough depending on the packages you want to install.  For a basic router with LUCI its just fine, if you need a bunch of extra stuff, you may run out of space.

Given the small cost of better hardware these days if you can upgrade it so much the better.

Its not my main router i wanna turn this one in to public wifi only but i want to isolate access from my home network how i can do that ?

that shouldn't be an issue then, your public wifi will be basically just a regular AP.  All of the blocking will need to be done on the main router with vlan/iptables setup all done there.  You will have some issues with this because it will need to be on its own network in order to block it from your main network.  This will cause problems with things like upnp since they will be behind two routers.

WWTK wrote:

that shouldn't be an issue then, your public wifi will be basically just a regular AP.  All of the blocking will need to be done on the main router with vlan/iptables setup all done there.  You will have some issues with this because it will need to be on its own network in order to block it from your main network.  This will cause problems with things like upnp since they will be behind two routers.

My main router is running stock firmware and doesn't have that functionality the only thing i can do is to somehow block home network acces with this public router that is using openwrt.

@markokk888: There is no use in fully quoting the previous post.
Next time please use the "Post reply" button instead of the "Quote" button.

hmmm,  I guess you could make an iptables rule to allow access to only the main routers IP address and drop all others in that network.

I just flashed my main router with openwrt now how can i do all that blocking stuff with vlan/iptables ? what actually i need to config ?

The discussion might have continued from here.