OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Looking for an all in one wifi/dsl/switch/proxy

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I'm probably asking too much, but it is the 21st century.

Currently I'm using a technicolor ADSL wifi router switch which is mostly OK, except when it comes to filtering traffic. To keep our child away from Facebook and YouTube I route his traffic through a VPS in another city because I don't want to leave a computer on in addition to the wifi router just to do this task, seems like a waste of power.

So what I'd like is a moderate system that can take ADSL input, and NAT to a switch/wifi, but also run a squid.

Could be satisfied if it requires a USB ADSL dongle.

Does anything exist on the market currently that can handle this sort of work load? Would Banana PI R1 be up to the task?

The usual approach to this is to put the existing cheesy DSL modem into bridge mode, so it passes raw Internet to and from the DSL line to a pppoe Ethernet connection.  Then any router can handle the routing, firewalling, VPN etc.

I'm trying to avoid multiple devices to reach the internet as we have limited power sockets and don't want to daisy chain power cables. At a push I could compromise the proxy component if it meant there was an openwrt device that that supported everything else I require so that I can control DHCP lease contents (and pop a pac file address in there, something that my current ISP provided device doesn't do).

@deleted: Do you know any usb dsl devices?

@rj-45, I saw this which sounds like it would work:

Maplin's web site, if you search for "USB ADSL Modem". I can't post a link, sorry.

rj-45 wrote:

Are you talking about this one:
... /p/usb-adsl-modem-a92hg

I don't think this is a good one:
"... with up to 8 Mbps downstream data rate and up to 1 Mbps upstream ... "

Yep, that's the one. I think my line is rated at around 11mbps, so I won't be missing much, and at the price, I'm willing to give it a go if I cannot find something that includes one already as there's no additional power supply required.

The discussion might have continued from here.