OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Ubiquiti Power AP-N

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone,

I've been reading on openwrt for years now but never posted a question because the search function was always the best friend. I purchased a Power AP-N router which I found out is now listed as EOL which sucks and I'm going to 2 more just to have them around. Here is issue I'm having I've been able to upload firmware to the router and it was not the firmware listed for the router I based it on the support chipset. It was the best guess I could try. Nanostation M was the most updated openwrt package I could get.
General Settings Logging Language and Style
System Atheros AR7240 rev 2
Processor Ubiquiti Nanostation M
Kernel 2.6.32.27
Load 0.26, 0.11, 0.04
Memory 28.75 MB (24% cached, 7% buffered, 36% free)
Local Time Sat Dec 10 14:45:14 2011
Uptime 25h 01min 24s

Router Name OpenWrt
Router Model Ubiquiti Nanostation M
Firmware Version OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 / LuCI 0.10 Branch 0.10+svn7292
Kernel Version    2.6.32.27
OPENWrt|OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1-rc5|Load: 0.33 0.23 0.10

Here are my problems. I can upload firmware file and it will flash and then the lan ports are dead. So I switch to the WAN port and I can configure most of the router but the WAN Port won't work under DHCP and it just feels broken and unstable. I understand the firmware is not the supported firmware however it didn't cook the router and I learned a few things. What do I need to provide to the masses to get this sorted out.

Thank you very much.

Jason

I have the same problem.
It looks like easy thing to fix for openwrt devs.

Default UBNT firmware is based on OpenWRT, and there is available source code for this so I'll check the config and I'll compile newest openwrt with that config. I'll do it after Christmas
. Keep your fingers crossed.

I installed OPENWRT on PowerAPN succesfully!!! smile

I compiled it myself from SDK and it works great. Everything works, wifi, switch.

Now I'm testing so I can't say more but if you wan't it too just write email to me ja@lesiuk.net, I will help you.

Is there any feedback on how well the Power AP N is working running OpenWrt?

I noticed that its not on the supported hardware list yet.

I have a Power AP N and the ACL list limit is annoying and am looking for an alt firmware that will do the job.

Thx

(Last edited by defecta on 19 Jan 2012, 07:37)

It's working perfect.
Just try yourself
http://lesiuk.net/openwrt-ar71xx-generi … actory.bin

After flash there will be dhcp active on WAN port and switch disabled.
You have to telnet to your device and replace /etc/config/network with it:

config 'switch' 'eth1'
        option 'enable_vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'eth1'
        option 'vlan' '1'
        option 'ports' '0 1 2 3 4'

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth1'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option '_orig_ifname' 'eth1'
        option '_orig_bridge' 'true'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option '_orig_ifname' 'eth0'
        option '_orig_bridge' 'false'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'

You also should modify /etc/opkg.conf to

src/gz snapshots http://lesiuk.net/packages/
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /overlay

I should modify that file's inside that binary but I was doing that binary only for myself so I don't feel need for that.

Enjoy.

(Last edited by BboyMC on 28 Feb 2012, 14:24)

Is there any feedback on how well the Power AP N is working running OpenWrt?

http://i.imgur.com/UrnlE.png

(Last edited by BboyMC on 28 Feb 2012, 14:30)

Thanks for the update BboyMC.  For a Linux noob like myself could you explain in more detail what I need to replace and how? I'm ok with opening a telnet session but im really clueless with Vi or whatever for modifying files.

OK. I'll change that files inside firmware. I'll post it today in the evening.

great news, I will try it tomorrow. Are you planning on releasing new versions of the trunk file as patches are released?

so sadly the links in this thread seem to be dead.  I was able to get openwrt on my router using the nightly build openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-nano-m-jffs2-factory.bin.  it had the same issue that the build above has where lan is configured on the wan interface so you need to plug a computer into the wan port telnet to the device and fix /etc/config/network per the post above.

Hi friends, I need help. Can you give me the link to the firmware for the Power AP N Open WRT I did not found.

The discussion might have continued from here.