OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear R6100 (AR9XXXX + Qualcomm)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

There is no need to change the U-boot to run OpenWrt.

I couldn't for the life of me get 5 GHz working under 15.05.  I was at least able to *see* the network when I followed the advice I found somewhere else and hard coded the channel and set the width to 80 MHz, but the firmware would crash any time something tried to connect.

I upgraded to 15.05.1, which for whatever reason isn't coming up as the latest stable and supported version on the wiki, and after re-installing ath10k 5 GHz is working perfectly.

I'd love to update the wiki or add it to experimental or something, but it looks like it is pulling from a database or something, and I'm not sure what it means for something to be "supported" or not and "experimental" or not.  15.05.1 is working flawlessly for me though.

(Last edited by Hyacin on 12 Jun 2017, 18:49)

Hyacin wrote:

I upgraded to 15.05.1, which for whatever reason isn't coming up as the latest stable and supported version on the wiki, and after re-installing ath10k 5 GHz is working perfectly.

Did you install kmod-ath10k via OpenWrt package repository?

It's displayed in the gui as Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 802.11nac (radio1) but I cannot see or connect to the 5GHz SSID from any devices.
I've specified channel and width and tried N and AC mode.
I'm getting the same errors as onlydisk
I'm using a fresh install of v15.05.1 & kmod-ath10k v3.18.20+2015-03-09-3

You need both the kmod and the chip firmware file, ath10k-firmware.  LEDE builds include both, and in newer versions that work better.

mk24 wrote:

You need both the kmod and the chip firmware file, ath10k-firmware.  LEDE builds include both, and in newer versions that work better.

I see.  I did try the latest LEDE firmware (lede-17.01.3-ar71xx-nand-r6100-ubi-factory.img), but the router wouldn't accept it.  The checksum was correct.

To go from OpenWrt to LEDE, use the sysupgrade image.

that-was-easy.jpg

Thanks!

galaxy-flask wrote:

I am afraid I do not recall, but I am glad to see from the subsequent posts you appear to have got it working?

is it safe against krack vulnerability?

The latest LEDE release 17.01.4 is KRACK-resistant.  17.01.3 is not. 

LEDE users should read the LEDE forum forum.lede-project.org.

Hyacin wrote:
galaxy-flask wrote:

I am afraid I do not recall, but I am glad to see from the subsequent posts you appear to have got it working?

Yes.  LEDE worked out of the box.

Thanks!

The discussion might have continued from here.