OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Does OpenWRT support Dual Band repeater technology? (eg TP Link RE450)

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone,

As most of you may know, WiFi repeaters/extenders are generally avoided  because when they use the same channel to communicate with the router and the client, the broadband throughput is effectively cut in half.

However, this problem can be solved with Dual/Tri Band repeaters which can simultaneously communicate with the client on one channel and the router on another.

Few of these exist in the market right now including the TP-Link RE450 (OpenWRT firmware available for this one) and the Netgear Fastlane Tech routers. However, I was not able to find anywhere on this forum whether OpenWRT supports such routers i.e. allowing simultaneous transmission on both channels to eliminate/reduce the throughput loss.

The one thread I did find, did not have a conclusion: forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=70072

Please could any of the pros enlighten us of the same.

TLDR:
Does OpenWRT support dual band extenders in such that the usual 50% bandwidth loss is eliminated?

Thanks a lot guys! smile

(Last edited by openwrt_newbie999 on 13 Oct 2017, 05:01)

Yes.  Any dual band router running OpenWrt can do that.  It does not need to be a model specifically sold as a "repeater".

Thank you for the reply @mk24.

I was searching through the threads for router recommendations and found this one forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=71874. Your posted:

mk24 wrote:

The WR841 is a good choice, it is practically the same hardware as the RE850 in a conventional router form factor-- as long as you get a v12 or lower.  The new WR841v13 has MediaTek chips.

A dual band router would let you make the link on 5 GHz, saving bandwidth on 2.4.  That won't be a big issue if your ISP speed is only DSL or slow cable though.

Please could you explain why? I thought if you used a single band router your speed gets cut in half regardless of how slow your connection would be because there is an extra hop?

mk24 wrote:

Yes.  Any dual band router running OpenWrt can do that.  It does not need to be a model specifically sold as a "repeater".

I made a router recommendation thread because after scouring through the whole hardware supported list I could not find a router that met my criteria: forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=366723#p366723

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks again for the help!

(Last edited by openwrt_newbie999 on 15 Oct 2017, 00:36)

The discussion might have continued from here.