OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to connect in a AP with security 802.1x EAP on TP-Link TL-WA801ND

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
I used the TP-LInk TL-WR740N router as client mode with the DD-WRT firmware, because it supports 802.1x PEAP security.

then I bought a TL-WA801ND to improve my signal, but it is not compatible with DD-WRT.

Searching the internet, I've seen that OPEN-WRT is also compatible with 802.1x PEAP and  I understand that I need a file called "wpa_supplicant" or "hostapd".

But in the firmware I installed there are no such files. I tried installing it using a tutorial I found, but there is an error:
"Collected errors:
  * wfopen: LINK/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/hostapd_2016-06-15-1_ar71xx.ipk:] No such file or directory.
  * pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from LINK/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/hostapd_2016-06-15-1_ar71xx.ipk."

I did not understand why the developers of OPEN-WRT complicated something so simple. In DD-WRT simply connect and choose the desired security.

Even if I can solve my problem with your help, I would like to leave a question to simplify this.

Thank you very much!

Compromises needed to be made to have a standard build that still fits in devices with a 4 MB flash chip.

You didn't say if you need an 802.1X compatible AP, station, or both.  The general purpose solution is package wpad.   The wpad binary can be run in two modes, as hostapd for AP functions, and as wpa-supplicant for client functions.  Remove the package wpad-mini and replace it with wpad which is the full version.  Since the WA-801 has a 4 MB flash chip, that will require using the Image Builder to make a custom image.  Possibly other things will need to be removed to make space.  ppp and ipv6 are commonly removed if your network does not use them.

(Last edited by mk24 on 27 Sep 2017, 14:04)

Hi, I said at the beginning that I use the router as a client. Then I'll need the wpa.supplicant. Can you send me a tutorial about a Image Builder ?

The discussion might have continued from here.