OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Some informations

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

My father has a Vodafone router with fiber connection.
In my home near I want to connect to router and have internet in my home. Cable is not possible, only wireless.
Vodafone router is 192.168.1.1 IP and I want have a my IP 192.168.2.1
Now I am using a TP-link with DD-wrt but I have some problems.
I also have a Dlink DAP-1160.
Is it possibile try open wrt? I want have my SSID and my IP address....I only want take internet connection in my father home. Is it possible?

Yes this is called a routed client.

Install OpenWrt.
(Network -- Interface (lan) Change the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1.  Reconnect your PC to the router with the new address.
(Network -- Wireless) Add a wifi client to connect to the other router.  Enter the encryption settings and key.
(Network -- Interface (wan) -- Physical) Attach this client to the wan network.  A wifi client cannot be in a bridge, so remove the Ethernet port from the wan network.

Of course you need adequate signal strength from the other router.

The DAP-1160 cannot run OpenWrt due to it having an unsupported Realtek CPU and only 16 MB RAM.  You may be able to do client mode with its stock firmware.

Thank you.
In stock firmware I have:
AP client
Bridge
Bridge with AP
Repeater
WISP client router
WISP repeater

Wich is correct?

?

You are using your father's network as an ISP, so WISP client router would be most appropriate.

mk24 wrote:

You are using your father's network as an ISP, so WISP client router would be most appropriate.

I tried but it doesn't extend wifi...only cable...

It works in WISP repeater...but it works very bad. Many disconnections and speed very low.
Better with my TP-link with DD-WRT

I would not expect something like the DAP1100 to have very good radio signal performance.  What is the distance of the link and are there obstructions?

mk24 wrote:

I would not expect something like the DAP1100 to have very good radio signal performance.  What is the distance of the link and are there obstructions?

1 floor. With TPLINK running DDWRT works very good

The discussion might have continued from here.