OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: USB support - failure to recognize USB3 hub plugged into USB2 port?

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello-
  In the Archer C7 V2 using DD, I noted that the popular USB3 HUB by "Pluggable" is not recognized when plugged
into the router directly, however it is recognized if it is plugged into a USB2 hub that is plugged into the router.
Works:  C7 -> USB2_HUB -> USB3_HUB
Doesn't C7 -> USB3_HUB

This result is unexpected, as USB3 hubs are backward compatible with USB2, and the C7 has 2 USB2 ports.

Full details of the USB configuration are in forum_dot_openwrt_dot_org/viewtopic.php?pid=340980

When using DD on a C7 with Samba, the ability to hang multiple drives off the hub is very nice.  It would be good
to figure out why a setup that *SHOULD* work doesn't.
Best,
-Tom

Anyone?  This is a weird bit of non-functional behavior - surely someone is intrigued ?? (who has enough knowledge to root cause this)

tom_wlan_2016 wrote:

When using DD on a C7 with Samba, the ability to hang multiple drives off the hub is very nice.  It would be good
to figure out why a setup that *SHOULD* work doesn't.
Best,
-Tom

I'm curious ...

this also happens on some random device with a root hub i.e. PC ??

Sorry - is the question whether this hub works with a PC? Answer "yes" - it works great - it's a very popular and excellent USB3 hub.

The discussion might have continued from here.