OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Archer C7 only powers up with UART connected

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I know I did something stupid wink I tried unbricking an Archer C7 and as the UART connection was not enough to make the router boot, I attached the power supply. Unfortunately I did not remove the +5V on the UART (which I guess should have been disconnected), so I shot something on the router.

Basically the unit only powers on now, when I connect both UART and the power supply. Which is kind of a no-go.

Any idea how to fix this? Or straight to the bin? (OpenWrt and LEDE are not recognizing the Wifi module anymore, so I guess I did not loose that much)

Thanks,

MMF

Most of the logic would either be 3V3 or 1V8. Get your multimeter and see if you are getting voltage out on the pin you had the 5V connected into (make sure the 5V in is disconnected). Plug in and power up the unit. If 3V3 or 1V8 is present on the pin you should be good. If not I would look to replace a voltage regulator somewhere upstream...

Hot air gun and soldering iron needed. Warranty = VOID. Your milage may vary. Caveat emptor.

The discussion might have continued from here.