OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hopefully we have a few more reports from 3200acm owners.

If I would  be able to run my netwoorksplayers with Lede I would give it a try..

@davidc502

Running new wifi driver on 3200ACM as well, so far no hickups running for 4 hrs.

Looks like we 'may' have a couple of reports of the 3200acm not doing well with the latest wifi driver.

I'm still on the 1900acs and wifi has been really good.

*EDIT*

May as in, we've had one report here, and one on github, and they could be the same person.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 13 Aug 2017, 16:33)

davidc502 wrote:

Looks like we 'may' have a couple of reports of the 3200acm not doing well with the latest wifi driver.

*EDIT*

May as in, we've had one report here, and one on github, and they could be the same person.

@david
I reported a reboot after about 20-30 minutes uptime. That may have been one of those "flukes" that happen. Router now up for 20 hours after that reboot without issues. Used the 5Ghz last night for 5 hours of streaming. More then normal for me, more like 3 or 4 hours, but wanted to stress the 5Ghz some with streaming. Everything went fine, no pauses. Driver version running is your compiled for ampdu issues.
opkg list-installed | grep mwlwif
kmod-mwlwifi - 4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1

Happy, as always, with your build. Keep up the good work for us dummies that that thought that Linksys would put out a world class router. Guess they did hardware wise, just firmware is junk.

(Last edited by bill1228 on 13 Aug 2017, 18:26)

Thanks Bill1228

Since the 3200acm drivers became decent enough to use everyday, I have noticed a slow down, at night, between say 5-11pm. I seem to remember a similar slow down on the 1900ac and 1900acs, so I had always contributed the slowdown to noise in the neighborhood. And yes, as more people are home at night the noise level does go up, so it was pretty natural to think it. However, since using the 1900acs with the latest wifi driver, last night I didn't have much of a slowdown.. Speedtests were coming back right around 150/150 or even 200/200, which are speeds I just don't see in the evenings. So, it has me wondering if noise was ever the issue at all. Today, I have switched back to the 3200acm, and will test for the next few days, and see if the same holds true for it. Currently I'm getting 300/300, using speedtests which is my current maximum, but that's pretty normal during the day.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 13 Aug 2017, 19:13)

davidc502 wrote:
starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

*EDIT

Since it looks like we will be updating the driver more often it might be worth while to update the website to include the latest driver for a particular build.

Sounds like a great idea!  Feel free to grab my instructions from the post under your post with the updated driver for kernel 4.9 and put on the website along with it.

Question: In the instructions should the switch be --force-reinstall ?

--force-install isn't needed on this version because it includes a commit which updated the version number to 0810; not simply some commits added but the version number left the same.  But it can't hurt.  But as long as you always update the version number in the makefile as well as in hif/pcie/dev.h if @yuhhaurlin doesn't to reflect the date of the latest commit, then --force-install would never be needed.  It's only needed if the new package has the same (or older) version than the one being installed.

edit: @All, just for correctness, @david has disabled amsdu in the driver (which is what fixes the ping and packet loss issue making multiplayer online gaming, VoIP, anything that needs fast ping just horrible on the unmodified driver on all models except the 3200ACM; the 3200 uses a completely different algorithm for amsdu which isn't broken) not ampdu (which is something different) or any other variation of those letters wink

edit2: Over 24 hours uptime on latest modified driver on my 1200AC V1. Running perfectly.  Zero issues.

(Last edited by starcms on 13 Aug 2017, 21:29)

Need critique

Added installing wifi driver instructions to FAQ page.  Does everything make sense?

The below instructions were contributed by forum member starcms.
5. Instructions on how to install a different Wifi driver.
a) You must be running @david's latest build with kernel 4.9. (this is everyone but those with a mamba, 1900AC V1 kernel 4.4.)
b) Login via SSH
c) cd /tmp
d) wget "Insert URL to latest wifi driver" Example: https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk
e) opkg install "Insert latest wifi driver name" Example: kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
f) reboot
g) enjoy

davidc502 wrote:

*EDIT*

I've been running my WRT1900ACS v1, with the latest driver 0810 for 25 hours now without any issues or slow downs.

davidc502 wrote:

Thanks Bill1228

Since the 3200acm drivers became decent enough to use everyday, I have noticed a slow down, at night, between say 5-11pm. I seem to remember a similar slow down on the 1900ac and 1900acs, so I had always contributed the slowdown to noise in the neighborhood. And yes, as more people are home at night the noise level does go up, so it was pretty natural to think it. However, since using the 1900acs with the latest wifi driver, last night I didn't have much of a slowdown.. Speedtests were coming back right around 150/150 or even 200/200, which are speeds I just don't see in the evenings. So, it has me wondering if noise was ever the issue at all. Today, I have switched back to the 3200acm, and will test for the next few days, and see if the same holds true for it. Currently I'm getting 300/300, using speedtests which is my current maximum, but that's pretty normal during the day.

@david
WRT3200 up over 24 hours now without a reboot so am classifying the reboot as a fluke. As I reported streamed all last nght and with the wife and teen gone am getting my Netflix fix in without issues.

davidc502 wrote:

*EDIT*

You may be referring to me. The issue I have is my 5GHz occasionally drops clients who have a light sustained load (such as watching a stream while playing video games). I just repeated the same issue on stock, so I am sort of questioning if its an issue with software or hardware for me.

Regardless, I have had the same issue since I bought my WRT3200ACM in May, so I don't believe my reports should stop you from publishing the driver update more broadly.

Just got some time to look at mwlwifi driver txpower setting code path.

What I have found so far:

The mac80211 interface in mac80211.c:

const struct ieee80211_ops mwl_mac80211_ops = {
    .tx                 = mwl_mac80211_tx,
    .start              = mwl_mac80211_start,
    .stop               = mwl_mac80211_stop,
    .add_interface      = mwl_mac80211_add_interface,
    .remove_interface   = mwl_mac80211_remove_interface,
    .config             = mwl_mac80211_config,
    .bss_info_changed   = mwl_mac80211_bss_info_changed,
    .configure_filter   = mwl_mac80211_configure_filter,
    .set_key            = mwl_mac80211_set_key,
    .set_rts_threshold  = mwl_mac80211_set_rts_threshold,
    .sta_add            = mwl_mac80211_sta_add,
    .sta_remove         = mwl_mac80211_sta_remove,
    .conf_tx            = mwl_mac80211_conf_tx,
    .get_stats          = mwl_mac80211_get_stats,
    .get_survey         = mwl_mac80211_get_survey,
    .ampdu_action       = mwl_mac80211_ampdu_action,
    .pre_channel_switch = mwl_mac80211_chnl_switch,
    .sw_scan_start      = mwl_mac80211_sw_scan_start,
    .sw_scan_complete   = mwl_mac80211_sw_scan_complete,
};

Note     .config             = mwl_mac80211_config,

-> In mwl_mac80211_config method:

rc = mwl_fwcmd_max_tx_power(hw, conf, 0);
        if (rc)
            goto out;
        rc = mwl_fwcmd_tx_power(hw, conf, 0);
if (rc)

these methods are in ./hif/fwcmd.c

mwl_fwcmd_max_tx_power:

rc = mwl_fwcmd_set_tx_powers(priv, maxtxpow, HOSTCMD_ACT_GEN_SET,
channel->hw_value, band, width, sub_ch);

this is called to set power, with maxtxpow defined as

for (i = 0; i < SYSADPT_TX_POWER_LEVEL_TOTAL; i++) {
        if (priv->target_powers[i] > priv->max_tx_pow[i])
            tmp = priv->max_tx_pow[i];
        else
            tmp = priv->target_powers[i];
        maxtxpow[i] = ((tmp - reduce_val) > 0) ? (tmp - reduce_val) : 0;
}

For mwl_fwcmd_tx_power:

rc = mwl_fwcmd_set_tx_powers(priv, txpow, HOSTCMD_ACT_GEN_SET_LIST,
channel->hw_value, band, width, sub_ch);

with txpow as

for (i = 0; i < SYSADPT_TX_POWER_LEVEL_TOTAL; i++) {
        if (found) {
            if ((priv->tx_pwr_tbl[index].setcap) &&
                (priv->tx_pwr_tbl[index].tx_power[i] >
                priv->max_tx_pow[i]))
            else
                tmp = priv->tx_pwr_tbl[index].tx_power[i];
        } else {
            if (priv->target_powers[i] > priv->max_tx_pow[i])
            else
                tmp = priv->target_powers[i];
        }

txpow[i] = ((tmp - reduce_val) > 0) ? (tmp - reduce_val) : 0;
}

Next I will look more closely at where txpow read from for both methods.

(Last edited by kyzhk on 14 Aug 2017, 03:09)

davidc502 wrote:

Need critique

Added installing wifi driver instructions to FAQ page.  Does everything make sense?

The below instructions were contributed by forum member StarCMS.
5. Instructions on how to upgrade to a newer WiFi (mwlwifi) driver:
a) You must be running @david's latest build and have downloaded the appropriate driver for the kernel version you are running (Most likely kernel 4.9 unless you have a Mamba (WRT1200AC V1) and are using kernel version 4.4).  Only drivers built by @david will work on @david's builds.
b) Login via SSH and issue the following commands (enter after each one).
c) cd /tmp
d) wget "Insert URL to latest wifi driver" Example: wget https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk
e) opkg install "Insert latest wifi driver name" Example: opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
f) reboot

Since no one else commented, I'd suggest an edit to make it more universal, since you released a kernel 4.4 compatible driver also (see edits above) since the mamba definitely suffers from the amsdu issue regardless if it is on kernel 4.4 or 4.9.  As they are now, it sounds like you can only upgrade the driver if you are using kernel 4.9.  I also edited a few other things for clarity (I'd suggest just copy and paste the whole thing to make sure you don't miss anything)

Also, you should post links to the actual updated drivers either on the main page or the downloads page.
Edit: Nevermind you already did smile  However for clarity, I would refer to them as "upgraded" or "newer" drivers, not "additional" drivers.  Additional sounds like they are adding something that wasn't there before.

Lastly, on the downloads page, instead of saying to use opkg to remove and then install, I would say to see the FAQ page for installation instructions.

And very lastly, instead of only putting the kernel version they are for, I would also put what build they are for (@david's r4651).  Because if someone tried to install them on the same kernel version as listed, but a different one of your builds, or on the r4651 build from LEDE's website, they would also bootloop.

(Last edited by starcms on 14 Aug 2017, 06:44)

starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Need critique
a Mamba (WRT1200AC V1)

You have typo - 1900AC, in fact.

r4651-a6f6f8d
Linux LEDE 4.9.40 #0 SMP Sat Jul 29 10:06:35 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

I recently upgraded my 1900v1 to a 3200, and i'm experiencing wifi issues with esp8266 wifi chips on the 3200 that i didn't have on the 1900. I'm posting here to get some help in how to debug this.
What i THINK happens, is that they manage to connect partially, but not fully. I can't have any encryption enabled, because then i can't get any connections at all. It works partial (when no encryption), but not most of the time. There is an open ticket on mwlwifi from another ESP8266 user.
So, how do i debug this? Any pointers?
Thanks!

sommlov wrote:

r4651-a6f6f8d

I recently upgraded my 1900v1 to a 3200, and i'm experiencing wifi issues with esp8266 wifi chips on the 3200 that i didn't have on the 1900. I'm posting here to get some help in how to debug this.
What i THINK happens, is that they manage to connect partially, but not fully. I can't have any encryption enabled, because then i can't get any connections at all. It works partial (when no encryption), but not most of the time. There is an open ticket on mwlwifi from another ESP8266 user.
Thanks!

May want to open a ticket at
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/

T-Troll wrote:
starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Need critique
a Mamba (WRT1200AC V1)

You have typo - 1900AC, in fact.

Good catch.  Should be Mamba (WRT1900AC V1).  Thanks!  I'm sure @david will see this and update.

Final draft:

The below instructions were contributed by forum member StarCMS.
5. Instructions on how to upgrade to a newer WiFi (mwlwifi) driver:
a) You must be running @david's latest build and have downloaded the appropriate driver for the kernel version you are running (Most likely kernel 4.9 unless you have a Mamba (WRT1900AC V1) and are using kernel version 4.4).  Only drivers built by @david will work on @david's builds.
b) Login via SSH and issue the following commands (enter after each one).
c) cd /tmp
d) wget "Insert URL to latest wifi driver" Example: wget https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk
e) opkg install "Insert latest wifi driver name" Example: opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
f) reboot

@david, please see my other notes in my other post just a few up from this one.

(Last edited by starcms on 14 Aug 2017, 22:35)

bill1228 wrote:
sommlov wrote:

r4651-a6f6f8d

Thanks!

May want to open a ticket at
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/

Yep, only way to get this resolved would be to take it to the source, i.e. the link @bill provided.

However, if your AP (SSID) is named the same on the 3200 as it was on the 1900v1, did you try deleting the AP from all your devices and re-adding it?  This is usually needed for the devices to see that there is a new model router present and work properly.

I know there are a bunch of users here with a 3200acm with encryption enabled without any issues.  Are you using WPA2-PSK with Force CCMP (AES)?  Those are the only encryption settings you should use.  Lastly, make sure you are setting a channel for the AP and not leaving it on auto (I would recommend channel 149, 153, 157, or 161).

(Last edited by starcms on 14 Aug 2017, 22:54)

davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for the report.

Will probably continue to run the 1900acs for the next few days, and then will switch back to the 3200.  Hopefully we have a few more reports from 3200acm owners.

My 3200 has been running with driver version 4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1 for some 18 hours now. All stable on both 2.4 and 5GHz, no glitches or anything.

Hi all
New to LEDE.
Flashed latest Davids build on my 1900ACSv2 a day ago.
However after 2 hours of switching different wifi config I could not get good speeds at all.
On stock and DD WRT I got 45mb average speed test but same laptop and same 5GHZ network on LEDE I was only getting 15mb max.
Tried different channels and settings. Encryption for DD WRT and LEDE was PKA2 AES.

Any suggestions?
Dont want to stick around using DDWRT as it reboots every night so now thinking about swapping it for Netgear N7000P.

nekromantik wrote:

Hi all
New to LEDE.
However after 2 hours of switching different wifi config I could not get good speeds at all.
On stock and DD WRT I got 45mb average speed test but same laptop and same 5GHZ network on LEDE I was only getting 15mb max.
Tried different channels and settings. Encryption for DD WRT and LEDE was PKA2 AES.

Any suggestions?
Dont want to stick around using DDWRT as it reboots every night so now thinking about swapping it for Netgear N7000P.

Make sure to install the latest wifi driver, and do some more testing.

davidc502 wrote:
nekromantik wrote:

Hi all
New to LEDE.

Any suggestions?

Make sure to install the latest wifi driver, and do some more testing.

This one: mwlwifi_4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810?

nekromantik wrote:

Hi all
New to LEDE.

Any suggestions?

Hi nekromantik,
I was a DD_WRT user for well over a year and finally made to move to David's LEDE builds (r4576).  I am running a WRT1900ACSv2, as well, and I have had a very solid/stable product with great performance.  My WIFI throughput is excellent.  using an iPad pro, I am able to get 170+ mb download speeds using 5GHz.  There are some config differences between DD-WRT and LEDE, but once you read the various setup pages, you can get this working as you would expect.

Stick with it.  It will be worth it in the end.
Also, the forum is very active with many people willing to offer advice and help.

(Last edited by jefftk99 on 15 Aug 2017, 16:00)

jefftk99 wrote:
nekromantik wrote:

Hi all
New to LEDE.

Any suggestions?

Hi nekromantik,
I was a DD_WRT user for well over a year and finally made to move to David's LEDE builds (r4576).  I am running a WRT1900ACSv2, as well, and I have had a very solid/stable product with great performance.  My WIFI throughput is excellent.  using an iPad pro, I am able to get 170+ mb download speeds using 5GHz.  There are some config differences between DD-WRT and LEDE, but once you read the various setup pages, you can get this working as you would expect.

Stick with it.  It will be worth it in the end.
Also, the forum is very active with many people willing to offer advice and help.

Thanks smile
I will try the wifi driver update after I re flash LEDE over the weekend. See how things go.
I got 2 weeks to return it if need be.

floydburgermcdahm wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for the report.

Will probably continue to run the 1900acs for the next few days, and then will switch back to the 3200.  Hopefully we have a few more reports from 3200acm owners.

My 3200 has been running with driver version 4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1 for some 18 hours now. All stable on both 2.4 and 5GHz, no glitches or anything.

@david
I second this. After the initial reboot for some reason at about 20-30 minutes up time. The wrt3200 has been rock solid. Had 2 streaming sessions going at the same time last night and solid Internet browsing during the day. Current uptime is 2 days and 18 hours.
Again thanks for the great builds

appreciate the feedback.....

May be a bit premature.... but have been testing consistently day and night, and the Android, Iphones, FireTV's, and laptops really like this new driver.  Download/upload speeds have been very consistent, and fast even during peak periods. I no longer experience the download slowdown during the evenings.  The two devices tested are the 1900acs and 3200acm.