OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Better router than hg556a compatible with external antenna Ralink 3070

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

Right now I'm using a hg556a with OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.
I have an external antenna (Ralink 3070) connected to the router USB port. The antenna receives internet signal and router shares the signal to the rest of the house. If the antenna is connected directly to the PC, I receive 30mb download / 30mb upload but when it goes trough the router I get 10/10. I know that getting the max speed after going through the router is impossible but I don't know if there are other routers that can give better speed.

Do you know any router that works with that type of external antenna and can give me more speed than hg556a?
I also saw that there is a new firmware version "LEDE Reboot 17.01.1 r3316". If I upgrade the firmware can it have better performance and give me more speed? Will the antenna work after upgrading?

Thanks.

why don't you use the routers internal wifi interface?

You can use any router that runs OpenWrt / LEDE and has a USB port with that antenna.

Are these speeds by actual speedtest, or merely those reported by the driver?  The driver's reported speed isn't always correct.

You should definitely try the newer firmware.  LEDE 17.01.2 is the latest.  You will need to install the drivers (I think it is kmod-rt2800-usb) for the adapter.  These are not kept installed during an upgrade since kmods only work with one kernel.

Of course set the router's wifi to a channel that doesn't conflict (at least 5 channels away) with the channel the ISP uses.  Also it's a good idea to use a USB extension cord so you don't have two radios on the same band next to each other.

(Last edited by mk24 on 8 Aug 2017, 15:21)

The discussion might have continued from here.