OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: dumb access point

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello, tried using the search function on here though was not able to pull up any results for some odd reason. keeps saying to check back in 5-10mins..
any how id like to use a 2nd router behind my main router . Main router does not have wifi nor the option for DMZ and is not an open wrt router, the 2nd router (OpenWrt firmware) has wifi capabilities

- id like to use that 2nd router as my wifi point. now im not 100% sure on what this exactly this is called: is it "access point ,Bridge AP" maybe you guys can clarify by what i mentioned above.

- now the MAIN router which is right after the modem, has an ip of 192.168.55.1 (don't ask why lol)
what exactly do i need to do in LUCI to make the 2nd router a wifi point only (i believe some say dumb access point or something along those lines)

- this is what i just did and made it work, i plugged a cable from an open port on main router(e.g. lan port 1)  into the WAN of the 2nd router. then set up a wifi ssid and password and left dhcp on which allows my wireless devices to gain access to the internet through Wifi via 2nd router. NOTE: when i didn't leave dhcp on i ran into issues as mentioned below.

- now this is wrong because they have the ip's assigned by 2nd router (e.g. 192.168.1.7) when I want the 1st router's DHCP to handle and assign ip's (ex 192.168.55.7) though when i disable dhcp on 2nd router(the OpenWrt router)  my wireless devices have a wifi signal though say "no internet connection". Also i disabled firewall but when i did this i could not access the router at all so i factory reset the 2nd router and left firewall on (which would mean double nat for the wireless devices i suppose)
So i am indeed doing something wrong here.
hopefully you guys can lend some insight.

kind regards.

EDIT: failed to mention i want to avoid Command line to do this, so if any insight is offered pls be it through LuCI GUI. smile

(Last edited by meneedlowping on 31 Jul 2017, 03:25)

Connecting router 1 to router 2 LAN to WAN treats router 2 as a plain router.  It will mostly work (as you have seen) , though you are doing "double NAT" and may have some issues with some kinds of services.

It's not what you are asking for however.  Yes, you were correct you want a "Dumb AP" and there is a wiki\tutorial for this that's pretty straight forward.  https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap

You need to connect the cable LAN to LAN, however you should start by resetting the device.  You can configure it standalone, then connect the cable and reboot.

RangerZ wrote:

Connecting router 1 to router 2 LAN to WAN treats router 2 as a plain router.  It will mostly work (as you have seen) , though you are doing "double NAT" and may have some issues with some kinds of services.

It's not what you are asking for however.  Yes, you were correct you want a "Dumb AP" and there is a wiki\tutorial for this that's pretty straight forward.  https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap

You need to connect the cable LAN to LAN, however you should start by resetting the device.  You can configure it standalone, then connect the cable and reboot.

awesome i believe this is more what i was going for . you mentioned i should start by resetting the device, which device were you referring to? router 1 (main router) or router 2 (open wrt) ?

-and would i be able to also utilize this 2nd router(openWrt firmware) as an ethernet switch as well if say my router 1,my MAIN Router didn't have enough ports on it for my wired devices ? or would router 2 just be outputting wifi only with no switch functionality?

-lastly what would i disable exactly? i know to disable DHCP & firewall. what other things can i disable for it to run as smooth as possible? maybe dnsMasq? do i delete both the wan interfaces?

and thank you for your reply btw
kind regards

(Last edited by meneedlowping on 31 Jul 2017, 00:46)

?

1 - openwrt router
2 - yes
3 - just follow the instructions.  The WAN basically becomes irrelevant as there is nothing connected to it.

The discussion might have continued from here.