OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can I install OpenWRT on a WRT54G2 V1?

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I want to install OpenWRT on a WRT54G2 V1 but I cant seem to find the hardware page for it and cant find the firmware page either so I dont know if its supported or not.

If it can run DD-WRT it should be able to run OpenWRT somehow.
As of right now I currently have DD-WRT running on it and ready to revert to default firmware so I can flash OpenWRT on it.

(Last edited by wacktru3 on 27 Jul 2017, 20:43)

DD-Wrt has done some special stuff to fit in small memory devices.   In particular, continuing to use ancient 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.

Oh ok then.
Well there really is no way at all?
EDIT:
A wrt54g2 V1 is pretty similar to a wrt54g V1
Only differnce is flash storage which is a 2mb differnce.

(Last edited by wacktru3 on 27 Jul 2017, 22:11)

The advises given in the post here are best received with that router, it do not have enough space and memory to effectively run OpenWRT on it. You can but truly it is a waste of time. OpenWRT & DD-WRT are not the same.

But then what about this ticket then?
dev.openwrt.org/ticket/5680
And this?
forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=18855

(Last edited by wacktru3 on 29 Jul 2017, 10:17)

Both posts are very old and so are the OpenWRT versions mentioned in the posts. These old versions aren't supported anymore, because of many reasons. You have two choices, get a new router or stay with DD-WRT or stock firmware.

Well what cheap router would you recommend that I can get openwrt on?

The discussion might have continued from here.