I've hacked two Zsun devices and they seem to present the same problem. I have updated the original firmware with the popular SD100-openwrt.tar.gz, and without any other intervention, when the wifi gets started (while booting) it resets the whole system. This goes over and over again, endlessly.

I have the uart being soldered and if I immediately delete the /etc/config/wireless after the console gets enabled (before allowing wifi driver to read and start the wifi) everything remains stable. If I restore the file and call "wifi", the system gets rebooted.

On one of the devices, I've replaced the flash memory with different chip from an working Carambola2 module. It presents the same problem, even with a completely new uboot and firmware. Getting mad, I've looked for HW differences, and the only relevant one that I've found was the quartz, which is 25MHz on zsun and 40MHz on Carambola2. So I've replaced the Zsun quartz with an 40MHz and changed the according bootstrap pin. Tada! now it's working!

I haven't tested yet with SD100-openwrt.tar.gz build and 40MHz quartz, but I suspect it would work.

Does anyone encountered this issue? Does anyone know what is the relation between WiFi and the input quartz?