OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can not install openwrt in Linksys wrt 1200ac

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all

I am trying to install openwrt in the linksys 1200ac router. It has two dual partition. When I flash it from one partition it boot from other partition. so I used
Firmware Recovery:

Manually switch the router from primary to alternate partition or vice versa [backup] partition:

Power off router with power switch.
Turn power back on and Power LED will light.
As soon as all LEDs turn off (~2s), power off router with power switch
Turn power back on and allow router to fully boot.
It should now be booted to the alternate firmware partition (partitions)

So I used this way to switch the boot from previously flashed partition. It successfully switch boot but Openwrt does not install. Does anyone have any process or tips? Or am I doing any wrong thing?

The standard procedure for these devices is to boot from one partition (either stock firmware or OpenWrt), install OpenWrt on the other partition, and reboot into the other partition. Installation process already takes care to install into other partition and then boot into it.

What I could not understand is what problem are you experiencing exactly.

Thanks

I have two partition. Partition number 1 and 2. I boot from partition number 1 and in the partition number 1 I have the openwrt binary file ,here I use "System upgrade -F filename " to install openwrt. After using this command router automatically reboot and switch to partition number 2. So I powered off the router when its power LED light getting turn off before booting to partition number 2. Then I do  three times for switching the boot to partition number 1. Then allow the router for fully booting. Is there any problem? Open wrt does not install to partition 1.

If I install open wrt in partition 1 and it takes care to install partition number 2 . Then why do you need router powering to switch the boot because its automatically switch to partition number 2.

@adnan

If on Partition 1 and sysupgrade is performed, it installs on Partition 2 and reboots system to Partition 2.

The reverse is true. If on Partition 2 and sysupgrade is performed, it installs on Partition 1 and reboot system to Partition 1.

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue/problem?  The power off/on recovery is there so that if there's a serious problem, one can always flip back to the other partition.

Thank

But it showing the LEDE startup page not Openwrt startup page. So the Open wrt did not install. I need to install openwrt .

The link you have given is LEDE firmware download page. I need to install Openwrt .

When you boot from partition 1, sysupgrade should install on partition 2, and then will boot into partition 2. Is that working for you? Are you expecting other behaviour?

If you force the router to boot from partition 1 again, you will be back as if you did not executed sysupgrade. Why are you doing that? What are you trying to accomplish?

Where did you install LEDE?

Thanks for your feed back.

I bought a linksys WRT 1200 router which has  LEDE in both partition. I want to remove LEDE and install OpenWrt .

Yes, When I boot in partition 1 and give command system upgrade -F file name, router automatically restart and boot in partition 2. It is working.

Is it possible to install openWrt in this way? I am playing how to install openwrt instead of LEDE because I feel interest.

I am giving command "system upgrade -F file name".

Files are:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.bin
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … pgrade.bin   

Is those 2 files are suitable for this router?

I want to install openwrt instead of LEDE.

Hello

I have cleared that the firmware which I want to install is not suitable for Linksys wrt 1200 ac router. Do you have any updated openWrt firmware which is suitable for Linksys wrt 1200 ac router?

You were installing a build for another device... thanks to the dual partition you did not brick your device...
You will find a link to the correct file on the device page: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series
Since you are installing from another OpenWrt / LEDE, use the "sysupgrade" variant (not the "factory" variant).

Dear eduperez

I am happy for your solution. I am facing a problem.

When I try to upload openWrt firmware it showing an error message. "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

The link you have given contain all file .img format .tar format. There are no binary format. should I convert the file into .bin format ?

Perhaps LEDE is not prepared to downgrade back to OpenWrt, and is failing to recognize an older version for the image file, I am not sure... I would try to follow the instructions under CLI at "https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wr … rt_openwrt".

When I try to upload openWrt firmware it showing an error message. "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

This has been present in the new WRT series for a while now, I'm not sure if it affects other devices, as eduperez mentioned, follow the instructions he linked to and when you get to sysupgrade add the force flag -F, for example -

sysupgrade -n -v -F image-name

The discussion might have continued from here.