OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DNS Not Found After Installing OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I have a Netgear WNDR4300 Router. The Internet was working fine before. After I installed OpenWRT to the router, the internet stopped working (I didn't change any setting). All webpage returns an error of "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED", server DNS address could not be found.

I tried changing DNS address on the openWRT at  Network > Interface > WAN, and I checked the DNS address of the network:

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
# Interface wan
nameserver 112.124.47.27
nameserver 114.215.126.16

The nameserver is what I set, but it still says DNS not found.

Any help would be deeply appreciated!!

Use the LuCI Network -> Diagnostics tools to test general connectivity to remote locations from the router's perspective. If the diagnostic tests pass, you can try using the 'nslookup' command-line tool (if it is available) from the SSH prompt to try DNS resolution, again from the router's perspective. If 'nslookup' is not installed on the router, try a simple 'ping www.google.com'.

If these tests pass, then you proceed to the command-line of your client computer that is connected to the router, and first test if you can reach an external IP address (any address will do, such as 8.8.8.8 which is the Google DNS server). If the address is reachable, try whatever DNS lookup tool your client computer's OS offers to see what's going wrong during name resolution.

The discussion might have continued from here.