OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-MR3020 extroot: not enough space to install "kmod-fs-ext4"

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just flashed my TP-Link TL-MR3020 successfully with Chaos Calmer 15.05.1

as I want to install OpenVPN and there is not enough space, I wanted to use extroot (pivot-root) on a usb stick.
The packages to be installed upfront are:
- block-mount
- kmod-fs-ext4
- kmod-usb-storage-extras

but I don't even have enough space to install these packages!!!

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-fs-ext4
Installing kmod-fs-ext4 (3.18.23-1) to root...
Collected errors:
 * verify_pkg_installable: Only have 132kb available on filesystem /overlay, pkg kmod-fs-ext4 needs 221
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ext4.

Any way to (at least temporarily) free up some kB to be able set up extroot?

thanks michael

after flashing: 300kb available
then I enable wifi, to access the internet: 296kb available
"opkg update": 296kb available
"opkg install kmod-fs-ext4": 40kb available
neither "block-mount" nor "kmod-usb-storage-extras" can be installed after kmod-fs-ext4 ...

Taking a precompiled image and installing the necessary packages afterwards doesn't work on the MR3020. Instead, you have to compile your own image which includes the needed packages.

See also https://lede-project.org/faq/before_ins … save_space

thanks - I will immediately look into this!

But are there any specifics to the MR-3020 image (like LEDs, button, switch etc) I have to take care for during creating the image?
or can I customize this afterwards?

make menuconfig -> then look at target/subtarget. There should be your device type. Will take care of LEDs etc.

Hi,
I've installed Openwrt on TL-MR3020 every thing is OK, the only issue is insuffisant memory to add some packages (barely 300 Kb):

Q1-While it has 4Mb of Flash and 32Mb of RAM where does the 300 kb come from (Flash or RAM)?
Q2- i've seen some memory upgrade (RAM replacement) for other routers online, are all RAM memories with 54 pins compatible (even from différents manufacturers) or should i verify something before replacement ?
Thanx a lot

Could you solve the problem, endly? I have the same problem. Thanks

(Last edited by jbtorras on 30 Aug 2017, 19:26)

The discussion might have continued from here.