OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link Archer C2 AC750 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Mar 2018 and 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I think we must update wiki! Serial flash method guide and 5ghz installation and its configuration in sta or ap mode will decorate that wiki!
Or we can rebuild openwrt image with built-in 5ghz module and luci 5ghz support

(Last edited by norulez.nikita on 1 Jun 2017, 19:52)

norulez.nikita wrote:

I think we must update wiki! Serial flash method guide and 5ghz installation and its configuration in sta or ap mode will decorate that wiki!
Or we can rebuild openwrt image with built-in 5ghz module and luci 5ghz support

A think that a rebuild openwrt image with everything in it would be amazing, it would help a lot noobs like myself, since i would need to flash only one file\do only one procedure.

(Last edited by xShARkx on 6 Jun 2017, 20:13)

Ok so I am somewhat of a noob since I've not had a router that could tun OpenWRT in a while and the last one was easily flashable from the update interface on the router.
My question is: If my firmware version is 0.9.1 3.2 v0032.0 Build 150902 Rel.36287n on an Archer C2 v1 00000001 can I just webupdate or do I need to tftp flash?

Hej, I c stuff is happening on this device .. I am excited to see some new build so I can flash it smile thanks for the work

FWIW, I have a GLi MT-750 https://www.gl-inet.com/mt750/#14956124 … 717be-3630 which is most likely  the same SoC and radio.

The native firmware is OpenWRT 15.05 with the 5GHz driver already rolled in. It works reliably and it's quite stable, so far.

Hello,

I'm trying to flash openwrt on my archer c7 v2 and I get this error

Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

my firmware and hw version:

Firmware Version:     3.15.1 Build 160616 Rel.44182n
Hardware Version:     Archer C7 v2 00000000

Can someone guide me please?
Thanks

This thread is for the Archer C2, not the Archer C7

Hi guys,

I flashed the openwrt compiled by yoq on my Archer C2 (via tftp without any problem). Now I would like to install my LTE USB dongle Huawei 3276s but in the trunk repository many of the kmods have been already recompiled on newer kernel (not compatible with yoq´s). --force-depends did not help as dmesg shows errors when loading the module (also older versions of the modules compiled for kernel 3.18 did not work).

What options do I have now?

- wait for recompilation of the kernel - will that happen?
- install the version for Archer C20i  (apparently not working good - Vezexe) or from Gli MT750 - did that try somebody?
- compile the kmods by my own - is it possible to install make, gcc on the limited space on ArcherC2 even with usb storage?
- ...?

Thanks

(Last edited by luckyluky on 20 Jun 2017, 06:33)

removed, check my second post

(Last edited by zaccaria on 24 Sep 2017, 22:09)

dob71 wrote:

For those who struggle with the TFTP download...
I've tried using 2 directly connected laptops and transfer through a hub, configured fixed speed&duplex settings on the laptop's Ethernet port, tried tftpd-hpa, tftpd32 and the simple command line server included with the xmas release (thanks @yoq). The same failures were seen when using the recovery procedure and manually running the bootloader's tftpboot command. Nothing has helped so far with the dreaded "Same block again; ignore it" errors, timeouts and eventual failure.

I have increased the timeout and used anticipation window of 1000 Bytes and worked for me after a lot of attempts.

dob71 wrote:
norulez.nikita wrote:

Bit there are one mistake in that post:

cp.b 0x82020000 0x20000 0x7a0000

Don't use 0x82020000 memory address cause you upload image at 0x82000000 in that guide

cp.b 0x82000000 0x20000 0x7a0000

And flash sysupgrade firmware

That is not a mistake. If the recovery firmware image (as the post instructs) is loaded to the address 0x82000000 in memory then write from 0x82020000 to offset 0x20000 in the flash.
If the sysupgrade image is loaded to 0x82000000 then write from 0x82000000 to 0x20000.

The reason is that the first 0x20000 bytes of the recovery image contain the bootloader, while the sysupgrade image doesn't have it.

As for recovering the bricked AP, if it is bricked because the bootloader is corrupt (might happen quite easily if you use the TFTP method and power cycle the AP after erasing the flash but before it writes the bootloader) then the only way to recover is to use an external flasher (see "Recovering from a bad flash" here h_ttps://pwassi.privatedns.org/lede/archerc20i/#factory).

I have unbricked my Acher C2 using an USB CH341A Programmer and a SOIC8 test clip (you can easily find them on eBay, Amazon, etc.) because couldn't flash using TFTP anymore and didn't want to desolder/solder flash-chip. I have flashed ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin from yoq's post #124 and installed 5ghz following the instructions on post #117.

As I am a noob on OpenWrt/Linux (used to install DD-WRT/Tomato firmware in other routers), how can I enable 2.4ghz? I have tried to enable it editing /etc/config/wireless, but no success.

Edit1: There is an error on kernel log:
[   11.082343] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 5390, rev 0500 detected
[   11.090360] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RF chipset 0xffff detected
[   11.098814] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate device

Does anyone know if this error is related to 2.4ghz isn't working?

(Last edited by rumash on 11 Jul 2017, 05:35)

rumash wrote:

I have unbricked my Acher C2 using an USB CH341A Programmer and a SOIC8 test clip (you can easily find them on eBay, Amazon, etc.) because couldn't flash using TFTP anymore and didn't want to desolder/solder flash-chip. I have flashed ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin from yoq's post #124 and installed 5ghz following the instructions on post #117.

Interesting, I have the same problem even though I did the header strip, something has gone bad.
If I understand correctly you flashed with the chip soldered on the board. I assume that the router was not connected to the power, right?

Maybe someone can elaborate on this, why is this Archer C2 so easily bricked? Does the bootloader also reside in the flash?

Followed post #124 and installed it on my C2, but I can't install packages. Anyone know of a fix for that?

Tried installing luci-app-sqm and got this error:

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-sqm:
 *     kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *     kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *     kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *     kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *     kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm.

Hi, guys. I also followed number #124 and #117 but couldn't get 5Ghz to work, so I decided to revert back to stock. I flashed the stock found in #124 download (same method as I flashed openwrt, tftpd), but it bricked my device. Neither wifi, nor the ethernet ports work. There are no light except the power LED. It doesn't blink. I think I might have screwed it up because the stock firmware from #124 might be from a US version, while my hardware is EU, maybe that has something to do with it. Is it possible to fix without using any special cables or dongles? Because I don't have them right now and buying it online would take atleast 2 weeks. (there are no electonic shops in my area that sell things like that). Thanks

(Last edited by meloncifer on 28 Jul 2017, 14:07)

@norulez.nikita currently I'm running my Archer C2 in Client Mode (WDS) in 2.4Ghz, but because I'm not in 5Ghz network I'm not using all the available network bandwidth.

Do you know if I can achieve the same setup using you 5Ghz drivers?

Got it to work but soon realised that the wifi range is abominable! If I go one room away from the router the speed plummets, I can get better speeds to the router downstairs.
Any idea on how to fix? This seems to affect both bands if I remember correctly but I was paying attention to the 5Ghz. Is this due to the nature of openWRT or just the bad driver support for this router?
I got this router really cheap and was hoping it would work out sad

(Last edited by Adeel567 on 5 Aug 2017, 23:40)

I managed to flash yoq firmaware using tftp.

The basics of the router seems to work just fine.

But unfortunately  almost every package i am trying to install requires an bit newer kernel :

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

on #203 :

norulez.nikita wrote:
kafarowski wrote:

Did anyone have a similar installation problem?

opkg update && opkg install kmod-fs-ext4
Downloading  ... ackages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/designated_driver_base.
Downloading ckages.sig.
Signature check passed.
Downloading ackages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/designated_driver_kernel.
Downloading ckages.sig.
Signature check passed.
Installing kmod-fs-ext4 (4.4.14-1) to root...
Downloading ramips.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-ext4:
* kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) * kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) * kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ext4.

Unfortunately this module for kernel 4.4.14-1, you can manually compile this kernel or compile ext4 module for your existing kernel

How do i do that ? is there a step by step instruction how the prepare and new image with the updated kernel or to recompile the packages i want to install (the first seems to be the better way).

It seems like a general problem , hopefully some one can prepare a new firmware image with an updated kernel.

Even with the above , this firmware is much better than the stock one (really awfull) , keep up the good work guys. smile

zaccaria wrote:

I used yoq patches on the latest LEDE trunk, you can upgrade your existence OpenWrt firmware with this but better don't keep settings
The build has 5ghz driver included compiled only in ap mode, to make it works you have only to uncomment lines in Local Startup script and reboot to take effect
It needs better support for soc integrated wireless, some devs are working on our chip (very interesting!) kickstarter.com/projects/1327597961/better-support-for-mt7620a-n-in-openwrt-lede
Obviously no hardware nat feature and no luci manageable mt7610
Works well but no guarantees!

LEDE r4439-a1c1f6e kernel 4.4.71: drive.google.com/open?id=0BzfYas8zVRCCSWpNUDVDM3ExTWM
Don't try to flash via tftp, it's a sysupgrade image! For first flash please read all topic

Thanks zaccaria, I managed to brick my device before I could use your sysupgrade image. Now I have to look at rumash's way to unbrick it... after that I can check what you uploaded

i purchase just one day ago your product
first i set current time and date
username password for pppoe connecting
connecting success
when i restart router default time set as 1970 year
and now i feel difficulty to connect net
and i set agin currunt time date
connecting net succussfuly again
that is main reason to connect

please sol that problem
date not change after restart router

thanks
vinodk

(Last edited by katarmalvinod on 9 Aug 2017, 15:40)

Ok so finally got the whole deal working and got 5ghz up and running, took me a while cause my original archer c2 was defective and wouldnt get flashed through tftp for the life of me. New unit flashed with no problems at lightning speed, then had to figure out WTH i was doing wrong and not understanding to get the 5ghz working since i'm still kind of a noob at this. Finally got everything up and running and working great, only problem i have now though is that i ONLY get the 5ghz band when it boots up, both SSIDs run on channel 36 and thus the 2.4ghz band does not work and is not visible. Tried editing the config on the startup tab, tried just about everything i could think of but either i drop the startup commands and the 2.4ghz works fine but i got not 5ghz, or i turn on 5ghz and lose the 2.4ghz... Is there anyone who can help me out to figure WTF is going on and what i can do about it?

Suraido wrote:

...my original archer c2 was defective and wouldnt get flashed through tftp for the life of me. New unit flashed with no problems at lightning speed,

Sorry I can't help you with the 2.4ghz/5ghz issue but maybe you can help me.
I have one that is refusing to flash.
Do you have any idea what the difference was between the one that would flash OK and the one that wouldn't.
I would hate to try on another one without knowing what the issue was with the first one.

well it was simply defective, the internet cut periodically and had plenty of problems with it since new, and unit was about 2 months old. Had alot of defective tp-links straight out of the box lately. This isn't my first case of failed new tp-links.

hagaygo wrote:

I managed to flash yoq firmaware using tftp.

The basics of the router seems to work just fine.

But unfortunately  almost every package i am trying to install requires an bit newer kernel :

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

on #203 :

norulez.nikita wrote:
kafarowski wrote:

Did anyone have a similar installation problem?

opkg update && opkg install kmod-fs-ext4
Downloading  ... ackages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/designated_driver_base.
Downloading ckages.sig.
Signature check passed.
Downloading ackages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/designated_driver_kernel.
Downloading ckages.sig.
Signature check passed.
Installing kmod-fs-ext4 (4.4.14-1) to root...
Downloading ramips.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-ext4:
* kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) * kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) * kernel (= 4.4.14-1-5616196ae8f3aaba70ef256bd4ea1ce1) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ext4.

Unfortunately this module for kernel 4.4.14-1, you can manually compile this kernel or compile ext4 module for your existing kernel

How do i do that ? is there a step by step instruction how the prepare and new image with the updated kernel or to recompile the packages i want to install (the first seems to be the better way).

It seems like a general problem , hopefully some one can prepare a new firmware image with an updated kernel.

Even with the above , this firmware is much better than the stock one (really awfull) , keep up the good work guys. smile

I have the same issue, and trying to compile an image, but i dont kwon the target system in make menuconfig, please some help.
my goal with this router is to have LTE usb support, mwan3, usb drive support, and exroot.

zaccaria wrote:

I used yoq patches on the latest LEDE trunk, you can upgrade your existence OpenWrt firmware with this but better don't keep settings
The build has 5ghz driver included compiled only in ap mode, to make it works you have only to uncomment lines in Local Startup script and reboot to take effect
It needs better support for soc integrated wireless, some devs are working on our chip (very interesting!) kickstarter.com/projects/1327597961/better-support-for-mt7620a-n-in-openwrt-lede
Obviously no hardware nat feature and no luci manageable mt7610
Works well but no guarantees!

LEDE r4439-a1c1f6e kernel 4.4.71: drive.google.com/open?id=0BzfYas8zVRCCSWpNUDVDM3ExTWM
Don't try to flash via tftp, it's a sysupgrade image! For first flash please read all topic

please help, how do you compile it?

Can someone help me unbrick the device? I'm at a loss of what to do and haven't found anything helpful searching online. Bricked it by reverting back to stock by flashing the wrong .bin file (I think I flashed US version instead of EU). I can't flash through tfpd again because connecting with ethernet does not work. Only the power LED is on when I connect. I have bought a USB CH341A Programmer and a SOIC8 test clip, as another user managed to unbrick without soldering (#236) but I havent found any working solutions. Can anyone help me? Havent been even a year since I bought this router, would be a shame to throw it away. Thanks

(Last edited by meloncifer on 7 Sep 2017, 22:43)