OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cisco Meraki Z1 WiFi Router

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

It works, awesome!  Great job riptide.  I forgot to change my unit serial num back to its original, so hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.  If so I presume I can write back the mtdblock3 I shared with you earlier, run the odm commands, and re-write OpenWRT?

tbs_david wrote:

It works, awesome!  Great job riptide.  I forgot to change my unit serial num back to its original, so hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.  If so I presume I can write back the mtdblock3 I shared with you earlier, run the odm commands, and re-write OpenWRT?

As long as you didn't remove the rootfs partitions this is correct, but OpenWRT will never use/need the device's Serial #, so I recommend just leaving it as it is if it works. smile

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 2 Mar 2016, 14:51)

Ah great, I thought maybe it held some info to compare numbers at a lower level.  Glad to find out that it won't matter big_smile

Are you also interested in the MR24?  I recently updated my thread because I found an original that had never been installed and still had their older less-restrictive FW!

tbs_david wrote:

Ah great, I thought maybe it held some info to compare numbers at a lower level.  Glad to find out that it won't matter big_smile

Are you also interested in the MR24?  I recently updated my thread because I found an original that had never been installed and still had their older less-restrictive FW!

I am always interested in new toys. smile If you can, shoot me an email and we can try to work something out. (my email can be found on my github page below)

EDIT: Z1 now has a wiki page over at https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/meraki/z1

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 7 Mar 2016, 23:51)

Hi Guys,
I have a Z1 with me and would like to install Openwrt on it, any chance you guys can tell me teh UART pin configuration for Z1? If possible may be a picture too?

Thanks,
Vinay

Hey Vinay,

I would take a look at the Wiki page, this has pictures of the PCB and explains the UART pinout. smile

Nevermind, Found your wiki page. All the required info is there. smile

I'm having trouble with the terminal. I'm using a USB to RS232 adapter which works fine with other stuff and I've hooked up Ground, RX and TX.

It's set to 115200 and does transmit and receive characters but it's all garbled. I've tried other speeds and it doesn't work at all.

Definitely got them the right way around?  RX and TX that is?

I followed the pin out on the wiki, skipped VCC, and set the baud to 115200.  Used screen, and worked first time.  That's with a cheap eBay CP2102 based device.

Have joined the Z1 OpenWRT club too, guides as published are great and work nicely.  Hardest problem I had was getting into the damned thing as the screws seem to be made of cheese and installed by Mr T.

Have noticed now I've loaded QoS/Adblock/uPnP etc that I'm struggling to hit 200mbps between WAN/LAN, which is a bit of a shame.  Graphs show bottlenecking/throttling which is maxed CPU.  I'll try reflashing it at some point.

Turns out that it was a faulty USB to serial converter that worked fine at 9600 but not any higher.

Z1 wiki also lists the RX and TX the wrong way around.

riptide_wave wrote:

NOTE: You may want to remove the Stock Meraki firmware partitions from the initramfs image before flashing the sysupgrade, as this will then give you more storage space for rootfs_data (up to 90+ MiB). For this, you will want to follow the Removal guide from the MR18 thread at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 67#p311567. Be careful to NOT DELETE the board-info partition, as this holds your board's mac address.

I know you said before, but I was following the instructions in order and after running the sysupgrade I did notice how little space there was so I decided to try following that and reflash the sysupgrade.

I deleted all the partitions except board-info and rootfs (wouldn't let me delete that one) and then recreated caldata. I then copied openwrt-ar71xx-nand-z1-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar into /tmp and used sysupgrade.

I am now back but when I go to the System --> Software area it now says "Free space: 0% (0.00 B)"

Any idea of where I should go from here?

theduck wrote:

I know you said before, but I was following the instructions in order and after running the sysupgrade I did notice how little space there was so I decided to try following that and reflash the sysupgrade.

I deleted all the partitions except board-info and rootfs (wouldn't let me delete that one) and then recreated caldata. I then copied openwrt-ar71xx-nand-z1-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar into /tmp and used sysupgrade.

I am now back but when I go to the System --> Software area it now says "Free space: 0% (0.00 B)"

Any idea of where I should go from here?

If that's the case, this is a sign you are either in initramfs, or there is not enough space on the UBI for rootfs_data to be generated. To get around this, I would recommend manually flashing the initramfs image to the kernel partition, rebooting the board, deleting the rootfs UBI partition (and all partitions minus board-info, and re-creating caldata again) and then flashing the sysupgrade image. This should re-generate the contents of caldata, as well as setup rootfs and rootfs_data.

Does anybody know how to remove open wrt & use the meraki firmware? The original stock firmware was not removed

Hi there - thanks for the tutorial to free these devices. I have used this on a Meraki Z1, I get through the root (press S on reboot after changing serial etc) however upon running the w g e t command I always get a Network unreachable response - Things I have checked

1. I know from looking at my router, (NOT attached to the internet! :-) that the Z1 is being issued a DHCP address but it cannot seem to wget out.
2. I have made sure that I can see the h t t p server (python SimpleH T TPServer) from within the same network, (by attaching another machine to the network to look at the same address, yep it downloaded the file!) it's just the Meraki that cannot see it...

Any pointers? Has anybody else come across this?

The discussion might have continued from here.