OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: memory/ram at 19%

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

when i do a reboot of the router my memory shows around 98% of memory. i use it for a few hours maybe a day and then it drops to 19% as shown in this photo.
imgur.com/a/QJnnZ

why is this? all im doing is playing a console game..stock firmware no extra things installed or settings changed.. how could it be using so much memory? is it because its been processing all those packets in game?

and is there a way to say free up memory/ram?
and from the look of it it says my total memory is 2071000 kB which is about 2gb right?

Linux calculates the memory statistics a bit differently than what you might think.

Check the "When should I start to worry?" -section from http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Note that the 'free' command is implemented by Busybox and depending on your Busybox version, the '-m' flag might not be available.

interesting!  it was confusing for sure since everything is at stock settings and the memory usage went up a bunch for no reason.. and thank you for always replying m8.

The discussion might have continued from here.