OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Setup Openwrt router behind non-openwrt router on same subnet

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I've been an openwrt user for quite some time but as of late I changed my service to 1GB symmetric Fiber and the openwrt router i used so far (Buffalo WZRH300N) no longer cuts it. The wired performance is ~200mbps up or down.
I have a new AC Router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800) which is plenty fast but Openwrt or LEDE currently isn't stable enough for WiFi usage (no problems with wired).

So for now I plan to keep the Netgear R7800 using the stock netgear firmware as my primary router+AP which gives me very fast ethernet+wifi. Behind it, I'd like to keep the buffalo router but simply to run my asterisk server, disable dhcp, firewall, wifi, etc and bridge it with the R7800 router's subnet.

Any ideas what i need to change in my buffalo. I have a chaos calmer/barrier breaker build on the buffalo (i think).
I would like to plug from the R7800 LAN port to Buffalo WAN port and provide it a static IP, and bridge the wan/lan of the buffalo to make them seem like a single interface. I leave all the firewalling/nat,wifi,dhcp server to the R7800.
I basically need to run my asterisk server as if its running on the main router.

Thanks,
chhatc

(Last edited by chhatc on 25 Jun 2017, 23:46)

Anyone?

You would not even have a wan network on the Buffalo.   Delete it.  Everything in or out of the Buffalo is now LAN.  Set the LAN static to in the range of the main router and set gateway and dns to the main router.  Turn off the DHCP server both v4 and v6.

To make the wan port lan, so you have 5 LAN ports, either reconfigure the switch or if there is a dedicated eth into the CPU from the WAN port, move that into the lan bridge.

The discussion might have continued from here.