OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Ancient package - opkg-201.tar.gz / Zyxel NBG-416N (Realtek 8196C)

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I would like to ask, if someone has a repo for older packages, as I'm trying to compile OpenWRT from source based on threads here on these forums.

I'm looking specifically for 'opkg-201.tar.gz', which I am not able to find, even with Wayback Machine (I guess it's something around 2008-2010).

I was able to make several config files / Makefiles compatible with today's sources, if anyone is interested.

In my repo are all sources and I'm basically trying to make it working, currently I stopped because of missing / dead links to 'opkg-201.tar.gz', which is required despite of unchecking 'opkg' in menuconfig.

Another question, if possible, is it possible to bypass it? I tried to supply the script version that was close to 201, but it crashed (expected). I'm bit familiar with C (just the basics), so I know a little about *.patch. If so, what do you think about patching todays opkg source code to bring it to 'ancient' state, where it will compile?

Pre-answers for questions:
Why so ancient hardware? Buy a new one!
- Yes, makes sense, but why to throw out a device I was able to reflash with stock firmware? I'm tinker and I like playing with hardware and enhancing it if I am capable to. Also, I'm bringing it back to expanded life and OpenWRT is much better, than the stock.
- I don't really want to spend money on new router.
- Also, I have one more Fon 2200 that still waits to be repaired.

No money? Get a job.
- I'm employed and paying taxes, as most of the people do.
- I want to utilize what I have, as I want to expand my networks (have 2 of them).

What repos I've used:
See my GH for details, specifically commits. Here are notes what I've done, what's working (and wasn't).
Mainly I was fixing dead URLs (the missing opkg201.tar.gz I'm still unable to solve) to make it working again. I'm doing compilation in virtual machine, on ancient Fedora 12 (also working).

The original repo I've forked from is inactive now and I don't expect it will live again, but I'm willing to fix what I can.
Original repo still exists, but because I'm not able to post links, I'll send them in PM. I don't know why linking is forbidden here (or 'new user' reason), so I cannot post them for reference, what is done and what not.

Finally, if someone has already working image for Zyxel NBG-416N, can I please ask for sharing it? I'll give a contact for me to send. Also, if anyone has Image Builder, I will be really glad, for future modifications.

The real reason why I am asking is, that nearly all of the sources are outdated in terms 'newer' releases and / or was not able to found anything including Wayback Machine / other sources.

Thanks for reply.

(Last edited by KosiehBarter on 18 Jun 2017, 16:17)

If it's in a git repository you can revert to any old version.

Hello,
thanks for reply, but I'm afraid it won't help, as the repos are limited. Current official OpenWRT forum has limited archive, which does not contain it.
That's the reason why I am asking, cos my work is based on unofficial 'build'.

If I had enough experience, I would port it to latest, but I have just basic knowledge about C. I'm mainly Python programmer.

Google didn't give me anything relevant, most of the results included both parts, where Google (dunno why?) considered dash as a separator. Using double quotes haven't really helped, did not find anything.

Unless, I missed something?

Or, the compiler tries to invoke (with newer package) to fix hotplug-201, any 'chance' to bypass it? It seems that lack of source code package won't push it towards completion and I presume it will require more...

The only way I can 'bypass' it is to uncheck hotplug2 and I am not really sure if it will work without it or not. I'm currently trying without it and works, but I'm really curious, what it will do in the result.

(Last edited by KosiehBarter on 18 Jun 2017, 18:54)

Another approach:

Which of the source-code for opkg is close to the mentioned one?
I mean specifically which release is the closest, so the patching process is successfull.

The discussion might have continued from here.