OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Openwrt for xiaomi router 3

The content of this topic has been archived between 23 Mar 2018 and 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everybody,
Xiaomi provided a router modem ago 3 months. But it does not support by openwrt
This moment only support to mi mini and mi nano.
I see new model very strong about performance
Everybody can togetther developt a openwrt frw for this item ?

mi router 3 built with  the same hardware as mi mini, no any perfomance increase

(Last edited by stas2z on 25 May 2016, 09:50)

http://en.miui.com/thread-251748-1-1.html

Hardware is basically the same, only differs with:
Gigabit ethernet
4x antenna instead of 2

WiFi is still the MT7620A etc, all still same, no *real* changes needed.

I've ordered one myself, should arrive in 4-5 days, so will confirm for sure then :-)

Everywhere I've read it said ethernet is 10/100, not gigabit. Please confirm when you receive yours.

Yep, its only ethernet 100.
Storage up to 128Mb and 4 antena
i mean strong about wifi network coverage

The Flash ROM is changed form SPI 16MB to NAND 128MB. The dts file need to be modified. Cannot use the same image as Xiaomi wifi Mini.

There has already another thread been opened about the same issue - just one day before this one.  Maybe they should be merged or one should be closed with a pointer in a last post pointing to the other one as providing informations twice is pretty senseless and counter-productive. tongue
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=326298

I am thinking of getting one of these anyone made any progress on creating a image for this router?

hi trung.tran
did you unbrick this router yet?
i have same problem, but dont know how to solve

1070cok wrote:

hi trung.tran
did you unbrick this router yet?
i have same problem, but dont know how to solve

Hi, I have this router too, and just this morning, it was bricked by xiaomi's auto-update feature.

Can confirm the method on how to revert back to stock described in MiWiFi Mini's wiki page is working for me (Tried two flash disk, both 8GB, FAT32 formatted, MBR and not GPT). Sorry, I cannot post link because I just registered to the forum.

Please make sure that the button is pressed, and if you can, use flash disk with LED activity indicator, so you can know when to release the button (hint: it is when the second orange blinking).

I will be getting one soon as well , found an guild to install prometheus...

Hi guys, I just got one of this.

I know n7620a or n differs from support of nand instead of spi memory. Is there a similar board to start testing it? The original firmware is an openwrt but very modified (it has an auto-update "feature" that cannot be disabled and I don't like it) and it doesn't have ssh enabled.

(Last edited by RinaGute on 30 Sep 2016, 15:56)

RinaGute wrote:

Hi guys, I just got one of this.

I know n7620a or n differs from support of nand instead of spi memory. Is there a similar board to start testing it? The original firmware is an openwrt but very modified (it has an auto-update "feature" that cannot be disabled and I don't like it) and it doesn't have ssh enabled.

I disabled the auto-update from the android app.
If you need SSH, you can flash the developer branch firmware, and download SSH-enabled bootloader from here:

d.miwifi.com/rom/ssh

(I know the page stated that miwifi 3 support is coming soon, but it is supported now, the page just has not been updated)

(Last edited by awaaas on 16 Oct 2016, 05:26)

since its supported can someone be so kind to give a brief explanation on the flashing process to avoid trouble for all the users eager to get it finally on?

finally received my miwifi 3 as im going to experiment flashing it through serial, which version of pandorabox lede or openwrt could be compatible with the device. i mean it in a way, could i experiment with mi-wifi-mini images since its the same hardware, part from nand?

any development.. anyone? i believe we should team up and use our brains im willing to experiment as well. padavan with entware doesnt satisfy my needs

mrt8 could you please set some contact info in your profile? Or just mail me with forum form.

there is no option to pm within the forum as i see

https://d.miwifi.com/rom/ssh is down i cannot get the ssh bin since i just received my mini as well. and its customized with the device id i tried but couldnt use someone elses ssh bin file. anyone any suggestions?

i had the new  board of the mi mini and im trying to draw parallels as for flashing on the mi 3.
i had no SSH unlocked because of what i said above and flashed it using telnet on the OS1 partition as suggested.
although somehow as i currently am trying pandorabox i have no SSH access even when it is enabled in openwrt.
i thought simply flashing wrt would somehow unlock this function but it seems not.
my mi3 has unlocked ssh with currently padavan, however the partition layout is different.
since im getting to know these devices is someone here able to shed some light on these topics?
the hardware is the same between the 2 i wonder why there still is no progress

(Last edited by mrt8 on 19 May 2017, 01:07)

mrt8 wrote:

i had the new  board of the mi mini and im trying to draw parallels as for flashing on the mi 3.

Can you explain what you did to the openwrt image tot get it to work on the MiWifi 3?

I've found this guide: en.miui.com/thread-64391-1-1.html
but I'm not sure this is the accurate procedure to flash openwrt on the 3

you most probably misread me twan. about a month ago i purchased the mi3 some days ago i got the mini.

the guide you shared is no longer functional since xiaomis way of unlocking ssh through a bin file is down.

however there is a trick to get temporary telnet with the mini and afterwards flashing openwrt directly from telnet, afterwards ofcourse when any wrt image is on SSH is also fully unlocked but the goal is reached already.

as for the mi3, SSH can be unlocked directly through the prometheus script of padavan automatically.

the issue is not flashing the mi3 the issue is on what partition and which image, the only difference is the partition table and the nand memory.

sadly though noone has cleared up this minor bump down the road im trying but i need some help as well.

so sure the serial connection might not receive however that issue is solved when you have SSH or telnet over a network cable instead of a serial adapter so flashing anything is possible. if someone just could provide some additional help i believe it would be working asap

(Last edited by mrt8 on 25 May 2017, 00:21)

mrt8 wrote:

you most probably misread me twan. about a month ago i purchased the mi3 some days ago i got the mini.

the guide you shared is no longer functional since xiaomis way of unlocking ssh through a bin file is down.

however there is a trick to get temporary telnet with the mini and afterwards flashing openwrt directly from telnet, afterwards ofcourse when any wrt image is on SSH is also fully unlocked but the goal is reached already.

as for the mi3, SSH can be unlocked directly through the prometheus script of padavan automatically.

the issue is not flashing the mi3 the issue is on what partition and which image, the only difference is the partition table and the nand memory.

sadly though noone has cleared up this minor bump down the road im trying but i need some help as well.

so sure the serial connection might not receive however that issue is solved when you have SSH or telnet over a network cable instead of a serial adapter so flashing anything is possible. if someone just could provide some additional help i believe it would be working asap

Yeah only big difference is partition layout.
I have tried to do it alone but failed.

If you have time I could post my work on github so we can give it a try.
It is a shame to not have OpenWRT/LEDE working