OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: What is OpenWrt?

The content of this topic has been archived between 5 Apr 2018 and 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

OpenWrt is described as a Linux distribution for embedded devices.

Instead of trying to create a single, static firmware, OpenWrt provides a fully writable filesystem with package management. This frees you from the application selection and configuration provided by the vendor and allows you to customize the device through the use of packages to suit any application. For developer, OpenWrt is the framework to build an application without having to build a complete firmware around it; for users this means the ability for full customization, to use the device in ways never envisioned.

> Supported Devices

actually, it's http://www.busybox.net/, no charming smiling ladies but plenty of content & juice :-)

There's a link on the main page (http://openwrt.org/) with a description "Supported devices" and address: http://toh.openwrt.org/ which leads to nothing but the same main page. Someone please correct this.

Good luck...

I sent an e-mail to mbm... Hopefully he/she will correct the toh.openwrt.org redirect.

Is it me, or is there much more spam recently... And worse, seems like nobody is policing the forums sad

Also, in general it feels that the project is on hiatus. There was no activity in the active tickets that seem to be showstoppers (4 are unassigned, and the only one assigned hasn't changed in 6 months). The wiki is in disarray (old wiki is abandoned, and new doesn't have much, either). And now the forums are spam-infested.

Look, I am not complaining. It is an open source project, and the community depends on good-will of the core team. I completely understand. So, if the project is abandoned, it's sad - but quite understandable. I wish I could contribute - but I am network administrator, not firmware developer.

I've been championing OpenWRT for several years now (wherever I install VoIP system, I insist on OpenWRT for improved QoS and manageability. However, I have several clients that have some problems (eg., router with both Broadcom chips and USB) or want to buy Wireless-N routers, and I am very uncomfortable to assume that OpenWrt is a good solution. Therefore, it's important to understand the state of the project.

The fact that 8.09.2 is 3 months behind schedule seems to be the consequence of project inactivity, not desire to fix all the bugs and produce high-quality product.

Really, really sad... I used OpenWRT since early betas of White Russian, and loved it. So this post feels like an obituary for a dear friend.

(Last edited by ymhee_bcex on 6 Dec 2009, 01:31)

ymhee_bcex wrote:

Is it me, or is there much more spam recently... And worse, seems like nobody is policing the forums sad

Also, in general it feels that the project is on hiatus. There was no activity in the active tickets that seem to be showstoppers (4 are unassigned, and the only one assigned hasn't changed in 6 months). The wiki is in disarray (old wiki is abandoned, and new doesn't have much, either). And now the forums are spam-infested.

Look, I am not complaining. It is an open source project, and the community depends on good-will of the core team. I completely understand. So, if the project is abandoned, it's sad - but quite understandable. I wish I could contribute - but I am network administrator, not firmware developer.

I've been championing OpenWRT for several years now (wherever I install VoIP system, I insist on OpenWRT for improved QoS and manageability. However, I have several clients that have some problems (eg., router with both Broadcom chips and USB) or want to buy Wireless-N routers, and I am very uncomfortable to assume that OpenWrt is a good solution. Therefore, it's important to understand the state of the project.

The fact that 8.09.2 is 3 months behind schedule seems to be the consequence of project inactivity, not desire to fix all the bugs and produce high-quality product.

Really, really sad... I used OpenWRT since early betas of White Russian, and loved it. So this post feels like an obituary for a dear friend.

You are complaining. Your rhetoric is at best counter-productive. At worst, I won't go in to it. As a network administrator you're in an ideal position to contribute to the project. You don't need to delve in to code to do so. You could help with documentation, assisting others, donating, etc.

I won't go on.
Dave

Dave,
You say I am complaining, I say I am not complaining - we can agree to disagree. You call my post rhetoric; I think it's just observation (that can be right or wrong - but you don't address that correctness aspect of my post preferring to flame instead).

The reason I don't feel I am complaining is that both answers ("yes, the project is dead" and "no, the project is very active") will satisfy me. I don't know if you have an opinion one way or another, but you certainly didn't share it here.

Obviously, you don't know - but I did write a few manuals (eg., http://www.rabinovich.org/drupal/node/86 ). I am not saying if it's much or not - the reason I didn't mention it, because it's irrelevant to my question (whether the project is alive or not).

Anyway, if yours is the best answer that exists... it's a very telling answer.

The project is very much alive. I think the svn repo and mailing list are good places to look for activity. I, for one, rarely look at the tickets page.

I got a notification that there is an email in this thread. It was probably spam - by the time I got to it, it was already deleted (it's a follow-up to my previous observation that nobody polices the forums). Also, the documentation is organized much better, and it is much easier to find relevant information without hitting dead links in old wiki.

And, of course, the latest versions of software itself (Backfire 10.03 and 10.03.1) are nothing but spectacular! I have it on 4 or 5 different routers and everything just works! Heartfelt thanks to the development team.

What a difference two years make! I am so happy that my feelings of the project's demise were quite exaggerated smile

###################### Adjust the signal level of the seasons ######################################################

Good morning my friends from OpenWRT
good for the first time I come here asking for help really the masters.
I am developing mesh networks with OpenWRT here in Brazil have had good results
More arrived now in a dilemma, I can not have customers with signal level is lower or higher than -62 because my app does not set up automatic and a simple transistor radio so I need the software to do this as is the case with the MikroTik
RouterOS see in the picture attached ...

that is necessary to leave the fixed level signal for connecting customers to a level ap sample - 56 to - 65

I was reading about link quality but little documentation has not quite understood
sensitivity so that the radio is in iwconfig it is not my case.

OpenWRT can help me have a tool access list?
where can I adjust the signal level of the seasons?

image:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rJMv … s_list.jpg

hi ! i have a router edimax BR6228nS! sntp in original firmware no work, i have last version 1.18 by edimax! I want to know if it will work on this router? thx...

If you click on 'comments' on the home page of OpenWRT you come to this thread. Hence this comment.

My suggestion is to add some words at the end of the paragraph describing what OpenWRT is. The suggested words (after 'in ways never envisioned') are
'Beginners may wish to click on the Wiki tab (above) in order to find useful links set up especially for them.'

Reason: I hit the home page over 15 times before I worked out that those useful links were in Wiki tab rather than other places.

I'd make the edit myself but I don't think I have the rights.

Cheers

jeq

we are trying to develop network device for inhouse usage, is it all Linux support OpenWrt?

mynotion wrote:

we are trying to develop network device for inhouse usage, is it all Linux support OpenWrt?

see http://wiki.openwrt.org/about/start

I have a firmware of modem comtrend ct-6383 but it locked VPI & VCI so can't use in deffirent ISP, anyone can help me rebuilt it support OpenWrt. Here is it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r16ay … 3_R08.bin, if done mail me pls:  redalfastar@yahoo.com. thanks!

Thanks For Giving Info About OpenWrt... smile smile smile smile

This looks good.

I've tried openwrt, I hope that friends in this forum can help..cheers

tnx guys fpr all infoes

Hello everybody!
I have a TP-Link Archer C1200 router. I want to inquire whether there is a WRT, since the original firmware is worth nothing.

Hello guys!!! I'm grateful that there is this project. I have a wifi router TL-Link TD-W8968 v4 and i want change original firmware to OpenWRT. What are your plans for TD-W8968 v4 and would it ever compiled for version 4 (TL-Link TD-W8968 v4). Thanks in advance to all.

Regards,
Jamshid

Hi All