OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: AirPrint printers not showing on devices through network

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've recently bought two Linksys WRT1900ACS routers, one of which I'm using as a main router and the other I'm using as a 'dumb AP.' I flashed them both with davidc502's May 12th build. I followed the wiki instructions to set up a dumb AP (except adding the WAN port to the LAN interface, I'm not using it) and I've disabled multicast snooping per it's instructions.

Wirelessly, I have two Canon printers connected to the network which both have AirPrint functionality built in, and they do appear on the everyone's Apple devices most of the time. However, once every day or two, the printers will both randomly disappear on everyone's device until I turn off all printers & routers, turn on the routers, and then turn on the printers. I've tried finding reasons for why they both disappear but I find no patterns. Both printers have IP's reserved for their MAC address.

I've searched for many solutions related to multicast forwarding, multicast snooping, etc. but I've still come up empty with solutions. The printers do not appear on everyone's phones all the time and it's getting frustrating since there is a business run out of my home that is based primarily on Apple's mobile devices. The AirPrint technology is based off of Apple's Bonjour/Zeroconf networking and software like 'avahi-browse -all' lists all the AirPrint enabled printers, Apple TV's, iPhones, iPads, etc. Does anyone have any clue why this might be happening?

eduperez wrote:

Looks like a bug in the wireless drivers: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/36

Thank you for finding that. At least I can confirm that I'm not going crazy anymore.

The discussion might have continued from here.