OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link Archer C50 v2

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, new to this so bear with me...

I just got my new router, which I thought was supported. But it turns out I got version 2, which is not supported. Before returning it I am wondering how long it might take for this version to become supported? Any info appreciated, thanks!

If you want to get the process started, take some pictures of the internals.  The main thing needed is the model numbers on the chips.  If you wanted to help out with testing, a port might be possible fairly quickly.

I really do hope a port is accomplished for this v2. I just got one as well thinking it'd be a 1.2.0, but I am not disappointed with it or its stock firmware. I have a few questions though:

For those of you with v1.2 of this router (the Archer C5), when running OpenWRT does the TP-Link Tether app for smart devices (smartphone/tablet etc) still work with it? That's one of the most intriguing things about router for me and I'd be sad to give that up when going to OpenWRT vs stock.

When it comes to the C7 vs this C5, should I "upgrade" to the C7 since it's supported by OpenWRT, or should I wait... OR should I get a v1.2? I saw it available on NewEgg for around $80. Also what are the advantages of the C7 vs the C5? Faster 5 GHz performance is one thing i saw mentioned all over, but it was also said that most Wireless AC devices can't take advantage of it...

Thanks,
Shiggitay

... Isn't it the Archer c5 v 2.0 = equals to ASUS RT-AC56U, it shares the same broadcom processor BCM4708

hi, i'd like to support somehow the creation of the firmware for C50 v2 (not c5!)
it's a really affordable dual band radio, and it seems like ar71xx would work.

where should I start? I can post photos of the internals if it helps.

ygor.almeida wrote:

... Isn't it the Archer c5 v 2.0 = equals to ASUS RT-AC56U, it shares the same broadcom processor BCM4708

C50v2!=C5v2, C50 uses mediatek SOC, C5 uses atheros SOC, they're completely different.

actually C50 v2 uses atheros SOC. i can't post links, but you can find it on wikidevi, under TP-LINK Archer C50 v2.x

I also bought this model with Ver2... Hope I could see this post before I make the order.

Any luck it can be supported in the future?

(Last edited by xfzfflm on 29 Jul 2017, 15:07)

I'm not sure if anyone has posted a comment like this but I would like to say that I just received this Archer C50 V2.0 to use as a wireless bridge. I was a little bummed when I read there was no OpenWRT firmware for the V2.0...but I decided to take a chance and get it anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the TP-Link firmware was all I needed to accomplish this task. I now have a wireless connection to my main router in another part of the house where it is impossible to run a wire...all lan ports work as well as both wireless bands...this is an awesome router that is pumping some great connection speeds...the best part is brand new it only cost $28.87us!!! Not really sure why OpenWRT is not supporting this router but I guess it really isn't necessary...

I'm one happy camper thanks TP-Link for filling this void!!!

The discussion might have continued from here.