OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Adblock package?

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

There are a number of threads around this forum discussing availability of adblock, but nothing describing exactly how to install in Chaos Calmer. There are generic comments about installing "dnsmask", "simpleadblock", etc, but such packages are not on the software package list. I assume they must be on a custom feed, but if anyone ever named the feed it didn't seem to be close in the context of naming the specific package.

Some of them reference LEDE, which is confusing because LEDE has its own forum (and it isn't clear to me what the future of LEDE is at the moment - it isn't all that clear what the future of OpenWRT is, for that matter, but OpenWRT's present is at least founded on a solid past).

Gargoyle has a fantastic adblock package, but I had to switch to OpenWRT for USB tethering and possible MWAN3, which are my reasons for entering the realm of aftermarket firmware.

Clear question: Is there a custom feed from which I can install a robust adblock package, preferably with Luci support?

theCodeWrangler wrote:

There are a number of threads around this forum discussing availability of adblock, but nothing describing exactly how to install in Chaos Calmer. There are generic comments about installing "dnsmask", "simpleadblock", etc, but such packages are not on the software package list. I assume they must be on a custom feed, but if anyone ever named the feed it didn't seem to be close in the context of naming the specific package.

"adblock" and "simpleadblock" are not on any custom feed, but in the main packages feed that is common to both Openwrt and LEDE. But as those packages have been introduced long after the Chaos Calmer 15.05 was branched, the packages have not been compiled for the CC15.05.1 release.

Note that "adblock" exists in the CC15.05 packages feed, but you need to compile it yourself. (The version there is not quite the newest, but should do the basic job.)

As those apps are plain scripts without binaries, there is no major reason why you couldn't install trunk/master/DD versions of those packages to your CC router. Just download the package files and use opkg to install them. ("adblock" used to work in CC, but I am not sure if the trunk version currently uses features that are not available in CC. So using the trunk version may fail.)

Adblock trunk buildbot snapshot build download links (main app and LuCI app):
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … -1_all.ipk
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … -1_all.ipk

"dnsmasq" is the main DHCP package in Openwrt. Has been here always...

Ps.

theCodeWrangler wrote:

Some of them reference LEDE, which is confusing because LEDE has its own forum (and it isn't clear to me what the future of LEDE is at the moment - it isn't all that clear what the future of OpenWRT is, for that matter, but OpenWRT's present is at least founded on a solid past).

There are talks about LEDE and Openwrt uniting again. The basic scenario is that the Openwrt codebase would be abandoned and the current LEDE renamed as the new Openwrt. (longer explanation: https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 42976.html )

Practically all active Openwrt core developers left for LEDE in May 2016, so there has been almost no development on the core Openwrt for the last year. (packages and LuCI feeds are common, so those have continued to evolve).

The LEDE 17.01.1 can been seen as the Openwrt DD release that will most likely never materialise. So, if you want adblock easily, just install the current stable release 17.01.1. It is not branded as "Openwrt", but in practise it is Openwrt DD trunk of May 2016 plus one year of further development.

(Last edited by hnyman on 20 May 2017, 08:21)

The discussion might have continued from here.