OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear R6250 on Virgin Media Netgear Superhub 2 - no WAN IP

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I installed OpenWRT on a Netgear R6250.
It is connected to a VM Superhub-2 which is in bridge/modem mode.

The router is not getting a WAN IP- much in contrast to the one it is replacing which has no problems. I compared the setting but all it should be is a dynamic DHCP lease without a default gateway to the ISP.
There are options to bridge this WAN adapter or define specific routes. Played around with all of them without luck.

Local LAN devices are connecting, just can't get a WAN IP.

Has anyone had any experience with VM on this?

Stephan

dhcp locked to MAC address of old router?

WWTK wrote:

dhcp locked to MAC address of old router?

Don't think so. The Superhub doesn't care abt MAC addresses in bridge mode.
VM had the hub's MAC registered and that hasn't changed. I never had to register anything behind the Superhub with VM. VM reaches as far as their device is concerned.

I wonder if there is anything in the WAN config that I need to be aware of.
Just looking for some ideas where to search. A bit in the dark right now...

SOLVED:

This was simpler as expected but one has to find it:

There is a specific order in which one has to connect things.
The VM Netgear Superhub is very sensitive to changine hardware that is connected to it.
If a different device is connected (not really a client here as it is in bridge mode), it need to restart or it won't accept it.
So restart the Not-So-Super-hub and connect the new router and it will get an IP from the ISP.

What I found confusing on top of it (and I tried all opetions): On Interfaces -> WAN -> physical settings, the choice is: switch eth0; VLAN eth0.1/0.2; eth1/2; WLAN, custom.

Which is which? I got 4 slots plus 1x internet (which I assume is eth0 switch).
Eventually it worked on VLAN eth0.2 (WAN4/WAN6).

Next issue is the very slow download speed on WLAN compared to the old DIR-615. But that'll be a different topic...

Stephan

The discussion might have continued from here.