OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wireless is disabled or not associated

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just finished installing openwrt on a linksys e4200v2. Everything went ok and I attempted to configure it as a bridge repeater. However when I ran a "scan" and "join" the main wifi a problem came up. Now the wireless tab shows a message "wireless is disabled or not associated" . I tried on luci to click disable/enable again but to no avail. I will appreciate any help.

Thanks.

(Last edited by danielsender on 20 Apr 2017, 02:44)

You can't put a regular client mode interface into a bridge.  Use routed client instead.  Make sure your wan or wwan interface is not a bridge, and the client is the only thing in it.

For a true bridge across an AP-client wifi connection, the AP needs to support WDS mode, then you can use client-WDS.

Can you please tell me how to proceed to do that? This is my first experience with openwrt. In the past I used dd-wrt with other routers and I was able to configure them as "repeater bridge". Is that equivalent to  "routed client"?

Thanks.

I don't like the Join button script which makes a new interface, etc.  That is unnecessarily complicated.
Start with a default configuration
Manually create a client mode wifi interface-- enter the SSID and encryption settings for the AP you are going to get Internet from.  Put it in the 'wan' network.
Go to Network - Interfaces - Edit button for WAN - Physical Settings.  Uncheck Bridge.  Select the wifi interface you created.
Go to the main status page you should see an IPv4 WAN connection has become active.  If the AP gave you an address in 192.168.1.X you will need to change your LAN IP to a different range before it can route to the internet.
You can connect the now unused wan ethernet interface to the LAN bridge to use all 5 ports for wired devices.
You can of course create an AP mode wifi.  OpenWrt does not enable an AP when first started.  Note that if you lose the connection to the ISP AP, the other AP will go off the air and you will need a wired connection to log into the router.

(Last edited by mk24 on 20 Apr 2017, 03:20)

Before selecting the type of configuration I must get the wireless to work - The 2.4GHz band is not working while the 5GHz does. I checked with "uci show wireless" and I don't see any instance of the word "disabled", I even tried setting "disabled=0" but it didn't do anything. I wonder if there is any other knob to turn on the radio.
Thanks

(Last edited by danielsender on 20 Apr 2017, 08:15)

I just entered: "wifi detect" and there is no output.

This is the output of "wifi status":

{
    "radio0": {
        "up": false,
        "pending": false,
        "autostart": true,
        "disabled": false,
        "retry_setup_failed": true,
        "config": {
            "path": "mbus\/mbus:pcie-controller\/pci0000:00\/0000:00:01.0\/0000:01:00.0",
            "country": "00",
            "hwmode": "11a",
            "channel": "auto",
            "distance": 10
        },
        "interfaces": [
            {
                "section": "@wifi-iface[0]",
                    "mode": "ap",
                    "key": "xxxxxxxxxx",
                    "ssid": "araoz",
                    "encryption": "psk2+ccmp",
                    "network": [
                        "lan"
                    ]
                }
            },
            {
                "section": "@wifi-iface[2]",
                    "ssid": "vivaldi",
                    "mode": "sta",
                    "bssid": "B4:75:0E:FB:F8:B2",
                    "key": "xxxxxxxxxxx",
                    "mode": "sta",
                        "lan"
                    ]
                }
            }
        ]
    },
    "radio1": {
        "up": true,
        "pending": false,
        "autostart": true,
        "disabled": false,
        "retry_setup_failed": false,
            "channel": "36",
            "hwmode": "11a",
            "path": "mbus\/mbus:pcie-controller\/pci0000:00\/0000:00:02.0\/0000:02:00.0",
            "htmode": "HT20",
            "country": "00"
        },
        "interfaces": [
            {
                "section": "@wifi-iface[1]",
                "ifname": "wlan1",
                    "ssid": "araoz_5g",
                    "key": "xxxxxxxxxxx",
                        "lan"
                    ]
                }
            }
        ]
    }
}

Notice that in radio0 the "up" string is false, while in radio1 is true. I don't see in the configuration options the variable "up", if that would be a way to kick it off.

(Last edited by danielsender on 20 Apr 2017, 17:51)

Finally I gave up on setting openwrt with the Luci interface. IMHO it is not very intuitive. I just followed the instructions on forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39077 using the CLI - Everything went fine, and the repeater bridge works flawlessly.

Thanks anyway.

I'm really looking forward to a solution for this. I also have the linksys E4200v2 and have a problem with the antenna0 enabling correctly. As a side note, I cannot select anything in "mode, band, channel, width" sections of antenna0, even though it is enabled. antenna1 at 5ghz works fine

I think I may have the solution, I just don't know how to input the changes. how do I input the following information to putty?

edit config wifi-device 'radio0' and re-observe 2.4ghz radio.
option hwmode '11g'
option htmode 'HT40'
option txpower '20'
option country '00'

I've gooten as far as
"vi /etc/config/wireless"
but that's about all

(Last edited by fence1247 on 14 Sep 2017, 16:40)

Install the nano editor, it is easier to use than vi.  nano /etc/config/wireless, make changes using the arrow keys and typing, hit <ctrl-x>, <y> and <enter> to save.

Country should be set to your actual country (two letter code like 'US' or 'FR') not '00'.

@mk24 than you for that final bit of clarification. I'm a novice but the reply was much appreciated. Now my network is working at 2.4ghz, although I had one question.

is there a reason that only certain channels, for example 2, work better and turn the broadcasting on? the settings I inputted in my last reply chose channel 11, but actually channel 11 did not work. What it did do was make it so I could switch channells, to 2 in this case.

I don't know why channel 11 would not work.  It is allowed in all countries.

You should scan to see which channels your neighbors are using, then choose a channel that avoids them.  Choose from the group of channels 1, 6, and 11.   A scan can be done from the web UI or with iwinfo wlan0 scan on the command line.

HT40 only works if you have no neighbors in the extra channel group.  Almost all installations should use HT20 instead.

(Last edited by mk24 on 14 Sep 2017, 19:22)

The discussion might have continued from here.