OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT1900ACS: which image?

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Mar 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

davidc502 wrote:
95blackz26 wrote:

couple questions here.

one being does the usb work..i tried a build i got off the main openwrt page and couldn't get the drive to show up..i use a flash drive to store regular files i transfer between computers and sometimes videos..

second being this has luci already installed and ready to go right..from what i have read this seems to be right. just want to make sure..

i have a wrt1900acs

Yes, the usb "can" and will work if you know how to mount it. However****  There is a known issue of running out of ram during file transfers. Unless you know how to set up a swap partition, instead of the system using RAM, it might not have much use.

Yes, LuCi is included... just point your browser to 192.168.1.1

Hope that helps.

yes it does help..thank you.

would i be better off using a usb hard drive and putting a swap on that..i can get one of the small ones that uses no external power.

95blackz26 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
95blackz26 wrote:

couple questions here.

one being does the usb work..i tried a build i got off the main openwrt page and couldn't get the drive to show up..i use a flash drive to store regular files i transfer between computers and sometimes videos..

second being this has luci already installed and ready to go right..from what i have read this seems to be right. just want to make sure..

i have a wrt1900acs

Yes, the usb "can" and will work if you know how to mount it. However****  There is a known issue of running out of ram during file transfers. Unless you know how to set up a swap partition, instead of the system using RAM, it might not have much use.

Yes, LuCi is included... just point your browser to 192.168.1.1

Hope that helps.

yes it does help..thank you.

would i be better off using a usb hard drive and putting a swap on that..i can get one of the small ones that uses no external power.

The nice thing is you can always test, and go back to stock if it doesn't work out.

davidc502 wrote:
runev wrote:

My settings for the 5GHz radio (in case they are relevant for why I'm not experiencing problems in ac mode and others see degradation after 3 hours):

Will throw out a idea about what may be happening here... Several here have experience on the manufacturing side, and have expressed the idea that these routers are not all the same. Depending on the availability of parts and the price of parts, manufacturers will make changes in "batches". Those changes in hardware aren't supposed to make any difference in performance or reliability, however, the stories we hear where there's a one-off or perhaps a few people, who are experiencing a problem, that no one else has, tends to indicate those "other parts" may be the difference.

It's just a on going idea based on those "gremlins" that seem to affect just a few, but not the whole.

Welllll - I'm now guessing I didn't run into the issue David describes here, but I'll describe what happened to me just in case it's helpful for someone else.

I flashed my ACS with davidc502's shelby FW (with the .17 wifi driver) for the first time. Everything seemed fine. But I noticed the wifi radios (in LuCl) we labeled as "Generic 802.11 Wireless Controllers". (I'm guessing this is default.) However, when I applied new wifi settings (changed ssid, added security, etc.) and enabled the radios, they didn't turn on. After clicking "Enable" the text below "Generic..." stated "disabled" and the controller was "disconnected" or "unable to connect". (I wish I had written that down / taken a screenshot.) And subsequent attempts to modify / setup wifi failed.

This morning I soft-reset the router to stock and reflashed using the same shelby FW after I re-downloaded the .img file and verified the sha256 checksum. And? After enabling each radio using the default setting everything works. Huzzah!

Thanks davidc502 (and others) for all the work you've done. This is my first-time-use of OpenWRT -- I'm a long-time user of DD-WRT on 3-4 other routers starting with one of the early WRT45G models -- and so far the initial setup has been a breeze after I took the time to familiarize myself with the intro walk-throughs.

Now I just need to figure out...
* how to bridge this router with my main (dd-wrt) router (I want to learn about OpenWRT a little more before I swap my main routers)
* setup my static routes (I'm guessing this'll be easy)
* try to setup DNLA (thanks for the posts above you guys)
* run some speed test and watch wifi performance
* add QoS functionality so I can prioritize traffic for my wifi calls on Google Fi.

Woo! big_smile

Hello,

thank you very much davidc502, i'm running the latest firmware since a few hours and the wifi throughput is like night and day compared to the stock firmware on the acs.

I'm trying to install kmod-macvlan, I downloaded the package from http://openwrt.nc-network.io/repo/4-4-7 … _mvebu.ipk with wget and tried to install it with opkg install {filename}.

It doesn't install because of the kernel version, I've also tried --force-depends, but this didn't change anything.

any suggestion?

uname -r says 4.4.7

Kind regards
daniel

Kernel version should be the same, and unless it gave dependency errors, you don't have to worry about forcing dependencies.

try the --force-checksum option

thx but still the same error

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# opkg --force-checksum --force-depends install kmod-macvlan_4.
4.7-1_mvebu.ipk
Multiple packages (kmod-macvlan and kmod-macvlan) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Installing kmod-macvlan (4.4.7-1) to root...
Configuring kmod-macvlan.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-macvlan:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.7-1-d045521c3f5a3635c764259e69600929)

Not sure why it's giving issues.

The latest trunk (today) has issues, but in 2 weeks or so, I'm probably going to just go ahead and compile all possible packages with each build to make things easier for everyone.

In the meantime, you may want to install MrFreeze's image, and it will probably work for you then.

davidc502 wrote:

Currently trunk is on 4.1.13.

These are the recovery instructions off the wiki.

"Backup Firmware Recovery

contributed by edgeman
Manually switch the WRT1900ac from a trashed flash to the secondary [backup] flash:

Reset router by pressing reset button until PWR light starts to flash {should take ~ 15 seconds}
        Once Power LED stops flashing, power off router with power switch
    Turn power back on and Power LED will light.
        As soon as any other LED turns on, power off router with power switch
        Let router power up completely; it should now be on the alternate firmware "

i have bricked mine....and then i hold  the reset button in nothing happens....any ideas?

Holding in the reset button clears the configuration.

You have done the power off / back on a few times? The above procedure allows the router to boot from secondary flash.

davidc502 wrote:

You have done the power off / back on a few times? The above procedure allows the router to boot from secondary flash.

when i do this.....no lights flash?

Reset router by pressing reset button until PWR light starts to flash {should take ~ 15 seconds}

sorry if i am sounding thick..thanks good i have my asus as back up  smile

(Last edited by liamhere on 28 Sep 2016, 17:15)

liamhere wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

when i do this.....no lights flash?

sorry if i am sounding thick..thanks good i have my asus as back up  smile

I was just making sure you weren't resetting by just holding in the reset button.

So, what you are saying, holding in the reset button does nothing? No lights blink, no matter how long you hold it in?

Don't know if that will make a difference, but the wiki does not say to press the reset button.  Here is the text as found on the wiki for the WRT1X00AC/S Series:

• Power off router with power switch.

• Turn power back on and Power LED will light.

As soon as all LEDs turn off (~2s), power off router with power switch

• Turn power back on and allow router to fully boot.

It should now be booted to the alternate firmware partition

I used this a few times without problem on a WRT1900AC V1

The first step before powering off/on is to use the reset button.

davidc502 wrote:

hi  davidc502 i have few questions
1) can i use qos/ sqm qos together ?
2) i have 250/30 speed connection yet when i im trying to download a movie to my phone from my ftp server the upload speed is slow. ?
3) how can i keep all pakages when upgrading ?

anielarias wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

2) i have 250/30 speed connection yet when i im trying to download a movie to my phone from my ftp server the upload speed is slow. ?

#1. Unknown.  I don't know, but would assume not. However, we know what happens when we assume.
#2. Is the download speed just as slow to a wired PC?
#3. What is being upgraded? Sock Firmware? DD-WRT? OpenWrt? Or perhaps a earlier version of LEDE?

davidc502 wrote:
anielarias wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

#1. Unknown.  I don't know, but would assume not. However, we know what happens when we assume.
#2. Is the download speed just as slow to a wired PC?
#3. What is being upgraded? Sock Firmware? DD-WRT? OpenWrt? Or perhaps a earlier version of LEDE?

hello davidc502 anyway to go back to factory without a serial cable, note: i have wrt3200acm and i believe both partitions have lede install.

thank you beginner67890 i will give that a try

i have just received my new linksys 1900acs router, and there are 2 version i saw, and i read a lot of stuff, but before i flash the wrong file, i want to know which one i need:  on the back of the router 1900acs version 2 but when i read the topic someone said that if ref a00 was written on the box at the barcode then it is a v1 .  I know that there is no difference between them, but i see only shelby and then v1 and v2.   So if i flash the shelby version, the program flashed it correctly for v1 or v2?

correct me if iam wrong please

did you buy refurb? I can tell you that when I called linksys they told me ALL refurb were v1 of whatever model is labeled. Mine specifically says 1900 acs v2, but when I called and asked them to look up the serial number they told me it was a v1

Hello Guys,

what is the default gui of the openwrt ?

does anyone another one ? Gargoyle ? LuCI ?

is there anything built in ? what's the best ??? :)

br
SK

I need to resolve my router issue but this seems pretty hard for me

stekam69 wrote:

Hello Guys,

what is the default gui of the openwrt ?

does anyone another one ? Gargoyle ? LuCI ?

is there anything built in ? what's the best ??? smile

br
SK

Luce-theme-bootstrap is selected by default, in the image builder.

What's the best is going to be subjective to people's taste... My favorite is luci-theme-material.

Hello this is my first post, I bought a 3200 ACM and have tried and failed to install an image recommended for new members.

lede-17.01.4-mvebu-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img

I have tried several different images to no avail.   Each time I install the image using the stock firmware the router fails to come back, no DHCP addresses issued, no way of connecting to it.   Doesn't show that its connected to the internet either.   Resetting does return to its factory state it, but it takes time.   I have tried some other images but the result is the same.

After a reset I can connect back in and configure the router using stock firmware.

I connected using a wired connection as recommended.  The stock firmware version is: 1.0.6.184351

I have searched the forums but couldn't see any obvious similar issues.

Any pointers gratefully received.

There seems to be something happening with new units.