OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: openwrt or dd wrt for netis WF2419 ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

Is there any openwrt or dd-wrt firmware for Netis WF2419 ?

Thanks,

Not at the moment, but it would be perfect...

Is there any news on this yet ?

DD-wrt thread on WF2419.

The source code is available on Netis's site and someone in this thread was able to build firmware.

In their favor is their availability and low acquisition cost.  Say what you will, but I do not have the cajones to flash a high end router that I just paid over 2 C-notes for.

It only has 16 MB of RAM, which is going to be a severe if not game-killing limitation.  In the $20-$25 price class, buy a TP-Link TL-WR841N instead.

I already own this router, which i cannot replace with tplink.

rubin.sth wrote:

I already own this router, which i cannot replace with tplink.

That fact doesn't make it any less of a brick.

Let's have a short look at the problems, without even going into depths:
- the RTL8196C SOC means "lexra" architecture (a reduced mips ISA with no upstream, nor mainstream'ish out-of-tree, adoption or support)
- RTL8192CE wlan isn't exactly known for reliable hostapd compatibility
- 4 MB flash is tight, very tight
- 16 MB RAM are a deal breaker straight away, even 32 MB RAM would be very tight by now

Getting this supported would entail heaps of work (bootstrapping a complete sub-architecture (forward porting the whole arch support from a 2.6.30 based kernel fork) with its own driver requirements, hardware and toolchain quirks), for a pretty $LOW_SPEC (imagine some less polite expletives here) device that has no chance in hell to run as router/ AP with webinterface (and probably not even without) due to its way too small RAM size.

Even if a massively popular lexra based high-end router would appear on the market for next to nothing today (not that likely, even full-spec mips is slowly being replaced by armhf/ arm64 by now), chances for WF2419 support would be extremely low due to the RAM constraints alone (not that a 390 MHz single-core lexra CPU would be anything to write home about either).

(Last edited by slh on 20 Apr 2017, 23:45)

To me, one of the major attractions of Open-WRT was the ability to configure without a gui.  If you just need ethernet, wifi and  the ability to route packets and can edit configuration scripts, the image should comfortably fit.

(Last edited by shep on 21 Apr 2017, 15:53)

The discussion might have continued from here.