OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to disable and remove ipv6 thoroughly ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, guys.
Thank your helps.

I'm in a country that has no ipv6 at all.
I want to remove all modules that related to ipv6, so that I can save a large of flash space of my router.
I have tried a lot of methods to do this, but I always get failed.

Can anybody give me a hint ?

Thank you very much !!!

(Last edited by evilroach on 14 Apr 2017, 16:55)

I can not "opkg remove" all packages related to ipv6, because some packages are depended by some ipv4 packages.

It is really boring ...

(Last edited by evilroach on 14 Apr 2017, 17:08)

Because of how was OpenWRT designed, uninstalling pre-compiled packages is not going to free any flash space. You will have to create your own build, but you are going to face the same difficulties there, because those dependencies exist for a reason.

eduperez wrote:

Because of how was OpenWRT designed, uninstalling pre-compiled packages is not going to free any flash space. You will have to create your own build, but you are going to face the same difficulties there, because those dependencies exist for a reason.

Thank you very much!!

Would you please tell me which packages should be unselected when i re-build the rom ?
i had tried many times of it, but ipv6 still apeared in the system.

I think that the one of openwrt inconvenients is that we can not easily find out which modules is depending on specific module, when we are building a rom.

(Last edited by evilroach on 18 Apr 2017, 08:00)

anyone else would help me ?

have you read this faq, https://openwrt.org/faq/before_installation?  there is information on how to create an image without ipv6 packages with imagebuilder.

these are the ipv6 packages mentioned to exclude in your build:
-ip6tables
-odhcp6c
-kmod-ipv6
-kmod-ip6tables

(Last edited by wrtboy on 1 Apr 2018, 18:31)

The discussion might have continued from here.