OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Hard to Find Gbps or Newish Router Support

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

Been using OpenWRT for a few years now, love it.  Thanks!

I'm still using an old (2000s era) router I got cheep when I first switched to OpenWRT and didn't know how it would work out. Over the last year, I've been watching for deals on newer, higher throughput, faster back-plane, 1Gpbs routers that support OpenWRT.  But, these are hard to find.  I've checked many models I see on featured on Newegg and never find them supported.

So, I looked at the whole list (ToH minimal, all) and I found that over half are listed as "discontinued."  I found one that seems pretty good, Asus RT-N16.  That's great; I think I will get one...but I'm concerned.  That router is six years old and not available from major retailers, only "marketplace" and recycle sellers.

So, here's my questions:
Where should I be looking for new routers that become supported in the near future?

Or maybe that list isn't up-to-date.  How can find newer routers that are supported?

And, does anyone know if there are any routers soon to be supported?

I have an RT-N16 and I wouldn't advise buying one because the drivers aren't very good.
It's useable, and certainly for simple configs I guess it's fine.  But if I had better choices I would definitely take them.

pmouse wrote:

Where should I be looking for new routers that become supported in the near future?

The ToH shows what is, not what will be.

Thanks for your help.

Wow, that's really disappointing; that's the only router on the ToH that seems not so horribly old.  Could you be more specific about driver problems?

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Perhaps I should try DD-WRT?

its very rare to see a router with custom firmware flashed on it performs on a gigabit nat speed. most of the expensive routers like r7000 or ac68u only reach around 400mbit NAT speed since all the hardware acceleration stuff are just plainly not working anymore (not unless you stay on the OEM firmware which uses a hardware accelerated NAT with a bit of sacrifice when it comes to security)

if you want to get near gigabit speeds in soft-nat (not hard-nat), just buy a x86 based router like a Qotom J1900 which can get a NAT speed of upto 990mbit (just a lil more on gigabit speed, but that's better than SoHo router can do.) then just install OpenWRT on it or pfsense or opnsense or any firewall distro you may find out there.

(Last edited by remlei on 3 Apr 2017, 13:02)

if you want a  gigabit capable router running openwrt (fork) buy Turris Omnia - this is what I tested.
An alternative would be Linksys WRT1x00ACy series (WRT1200AC or better) - very well supported by mainline openwrt and LEDE (that's where new development happens - openwrt is almost EOL unfortunately)

Wow!  Thanks so much.  I didn't know about LEDE, sounds great!  Guess I just hadn't looked around this space in a while...I just assumed that OpenWRT and DD-WRT were still the only options.  That was silly.  This is great news.  Many thanks.

The discussion might have continued from here.