OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: device tree selection in make file

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I am using CC version and I want to trace which dts file is being used for build.

I use qualcomm chip-set IPQ8065 but hopefully it use similar way or standard way to select board specific dts file as there are many dts files and I have no idea which is really getting used.

when firmware generated boot, I can see /proc/device-tree/ to do reverse engineering to trace which is exact file I should change.

files are located at

openwrt/qca/src//linux-3.14/arch/arm/boot/dts/qcom-ipq8064.dts

for this specific CC SDK but if I change board name is same in /proc/device-tree/board

so I think I am just guessing everything and need to trace where in make file exact dts file is selected.

Chaos Calmer didn't support ipq806x yet. Current trunk (respectively LEDE) however should work on quite a few ipq8064 and ipq8065 devices, with a little luck your particular device is already properly supported there.

Problem is that qualcomm ipq8064/65 CC support is not on openwrt repo. They keep their own source repository to pull code and build for customers.

But I would like to know in general , what part of Makefile or configuration select particular dts file in Linux or is it specific to every SOC or Linux or OpenWrt ?

geek007 wrote:

Problem is that qualcomm ipq8064/65 CC support is not on openwrt repo. They keep their own source repository to pull code and build for customers.

But I would like to know in general , what part of Makefile or configuration select particular dts file in Linux or is it specific to every SOC or Linux or OpenWrt ?

Look into
target/linux/$targetname/image
for you in
target/linux/ipq806x/image/

The discussion might have continued from here.