OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wifi cards replacement in Linksys WRT1900AC

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone tried and/or managed to replace the original wifi card in Linksys WRT1900AC?
According to image below, it has 2 minipcie ports, however I am not sure if boot loader does not include some whitelist allowing only pre-installed card to work. What are your experiences?

Maybe some of you have a minipcie card and could test that?
https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/214507/6/linksys-wrt1900ac.jpg

According to this post it seems to be possible on Mamba. I am already bored of waiting for proper wifi drivers from Marvel.

Second question if what 802.11b/g/n and 802.11ac/a/n cards to choose? I thought about Mikrotik R11E-2HPnD for 2.4GHz and R11e-5HacT for 5GHz. What is your opinion? Maybe you could recommend something else?

I used the same cards from Mikrotik. However, the code changes are not trivial as they require multiple files to be edited.

nitroshift

Hmmm. What kind of modifications need to be done?
Isnt that just a matter of providing drivers?

belliash wrote:

Isnt that just a matter of providing drivers?

No. Mwlwifi power tables are embedded in the device tree. That's only one example of what needs to be changed. You'd also need to change the config, the profile, etc. Unless you know your way around OpenWRT you won't find it easy to accomplish this.

nitroshift

I know about config and profile.
Last question, if you already tried that and you managed to have those 2 cards running, maybe you could share some patch others from community could base on?

As I said, it was proof of concept. There are no patches available, nor do I have time to pursue the matter.

nitroshift

The discussion might have continued from here.