OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 ? Confusing instructions all over the place ...

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

First,
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start?dataflt%5BModel*~%5D=TL-WDR3600

(It says 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 is on release 15.05)

Then, I go here
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr3600

(It says 1.5 is on 15.05.1)

For installation it says go to wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr4300#installation

There, there are only instructions for version 14.

On the other hand I see downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/ I see 2 files
wdr3600-v1-squashfs-{factory, sysupgrade}

So .. which is it? Can I just take the above file, specifically -
downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr3600-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and use the webUI ?

(And what is downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr3600-v1-squashfs-factory.bin used for?)

Thanks!

For that model, all versions that start with 1 have hardware similar enough to use the same firmware.  It doesn't matter if you have a 1.4 or 1.5 for example, use the "V1' firmware.

Use the "factory" file to install OpenWrt on a router that is now running stock TP-Link firmware.  Use a "sysupgrade" to change from one version of OpenWrt to another.

I see your confusion after looking at the articles

The difference between the factory and upgrade is that the factory is used to upgrade from the stock factory firmware to OpenWrt and the upgrade from an older to newer version of OpenWrt.

You want the factory file for the wdr-3600.

Regarding the flashing instructions, I do NOT suggest you upgrade to the latest TP-Link firmware per step 1.  I do not know for sure, but TP-Link was making it hard to upgrade to anything other than their firmware to comply with FCC regulations.  It is also not clear on what happens during the flashing process.  It may reboot to OpenWrt or it may appear to be dead.  Be patient.  Wait at least five minutes if things appear to stop processing.  Then unplug and replug the power. 

Read this too:  https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin 

It is not clear what the exact format of the name needs to be to upgrade, but you can download a bin from here http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-W … l#Firmware and use the file name to rename your OpenWrt file to pass the checks I expect.  The 3/2/2015 firmware name is this: 
wdr3600v1_en_3_14_1_up_boot(150302).bin  but you may want to verify

I have not tried this so can not tell you if it will work, but reading the 4300 wiki it sounds like it should install if you can pass the name test.  Be safe, disconnect from the internet and use only the single client needed to manage the process.

it is too bad these simple instructions are not in the 3600 wiki.  You may also want to search the wiki for wdr3600 and see if this is covered elsewhere.

Please confirm to this post if you succeed and include the name you used as well as the system responses\times\actions you had to perform to get to the first login.

Here's a twist - I already have a dd-wrt installed on the router.

I tried downloading the "factory" bin file, and used the dd-wrt web flash interface, and it did something but returned me to the dd-wrt installation again, which I guess means either the flashing failed or nothing happened.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Like you said, I don't want to flash to the stock firmware from TP-LINK first, since I have read bad things about newer TP-LINK firmwares.

EDIT: Why the heck do I keep seeing "Too more links in message. Allowed 0 links". Fine, if only 0 links are allowed, don't create links in my message. Why are you creating a link and then complaining that there are too many links?

This is more of a dd-wrt question.  Whatever process they have to go back to stock firmware should also work with a "factory" OpenWrt.  I think you can also use the dd-wrt command line to directly mtd an image into the flash (that would be a sysupgrade) but that is risky.

New users aren't allowed to post links, as an anti-spam measure.

mk24 wrote:

This is more of a dd-wrt question.  Whatever process they have to go back to stock firmware should also work with a "factory" OpenWrt.  I think you can also use the dd-wrt command line to directly mtd an image into the flash (that would be a sysupgrade) but that is risky.

New users aren't allowed to post links, as an anti-spam measure.

Thank you! The dd-wrt page did have a "restore original" firmware, which brought it back to stock,  after which I installed the "openwrt factory" and it worked !!

That said, where's the openwrt-to-stock firmware? dd-wrt provides a "undo to stock" firmware, so I would expect openwrt to provide one as well? Or is flashing the openwrt firmware an irreversible process?

I understand that new users aren't allowed to post links, but other forum softwares have an option called "disable links in post" or something like that. I am just saying if links are disabled, the forum should be disabling the links instead of asking the user to remove them.

hello, I have a similar confusion about the Wiki page:wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr3600

I have v1.1 version of the router, so I am confused if the only version of openwrt supported is AA 12.09 or can I also install CC 15.05. Right now I have AA 12.09 installed and running fine. I want to try some QOS and have tried wshaper but want isnt working well and would like to try some other packages (sqm etc), but I believe those are in BB and CC?

Thanks

CC or newer will be fine.

There is a "generic" file link in both the 3600 & the 4300 FAQ pages, but the link appears dead now.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr4300

(Last edited by videobruce on 30 Dec 2017, 21:32)

The discussion might have continued from here.