OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DVB card IT9135 with Bleeding Edge 50104 on TL-WDR3600 + tvheadend

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I would like to get DVB USB card IT9135 working with my router TL-WDR3600. I have installed the newest trunk firmware (Bleeding Edge, 50104) on it, the extroot on USB flash drive is working and tvheadend is successfully installed too - the web GUI is accessible and working.

But when I connect the IT9135 card into the second USB slot on this router, command "dmesg | grep usb" says only this:

usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform

I have already searched and walked through dozens of threads and posts, but I haven't found any complete tutorial saying how to achieve what I want.

I know I have to propably compile proper kernel modules (.ko files) for this build and this kernel version (4.4.14), and move them to the /lib/modules/4.4.14 directory + load them with modprobe command.
I have already found list of needed modules for this USB card: dvb-core, dvb-pll, rc-core, tuner-it913x, it913x-fe, dvb-usb, dvb_usb_v2 and dvb-usb-it913x. I tried to use these .ko files available online, but as they had been compiled for another kernel version they could not be loaded - modprobe threw errors.

I have absolutely no experience with compiling the kernel modules or programs for OpenWRT, so I don't know how to start.
Should I follow this simple tutorial: gargoyle-router.com/old-openwrt-coding.html - use SDK from the trunk repository? Or should I git clone openwrt how another resources advise to?

Thank you for your help.

Bump
No help with compiling these kernel modules?

Yes you will need to build yourself. So start by installing the buildroot on your PC and make sure you can build a firmware that runs on your router.

Then you would add the third-party package source codes to your build system, and build them in.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/packages
Scroll down to the part about kernel packages.

Could you please offer a little more help? Tutorials on the OpenWRT wiki are not so easy to understand... (it would be great if somebody created a simple step-by-step tutorial)

My questions are:
1. How can I make sure that my PC can build that firmware running on my router? I thought it is sure thing when I use the latest trunk firmware it can be also compiled.
2. I have set up latest Debian x64 in VirtualBox and installed everything as written in wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence . But I don't know what I should change in menuconfig if I only want to compile the kernel modules for IT9135, it is not said clearly on the wiki.
3. Can I use codes for the DVB drivers I found on github here: github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/media/dvb-core ? Is it that easy that I download these folders on this repo to some compilation folder, compile it and done? Or have I to write some code first? I really don't understand how it works.

Thank you very much for help.

The discussion might have continued from here.