OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Use of OpenWRT in Opensourcing of CAPWAP protocol.

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello guys,
I am currently persuing my Masters in Digital Electronics and Communication Systems.
I am studying on CAPWAP protocol and I wanted to extend my study towards Interoperability of this protocol in the sense my thought is based on 'can this protocol be made to be used among some different vendor AP and some other different vendor Controller!'.
I studied on how this protocol communicates between AP and Controller and the frame structures of different headers and have a little basics that way.

I also listened of OpenWRT being so flexible. Could some one give me a detail on what is OpenWRT basically and what all it could do? Could we take it's help to build up an Interoperable CAPWAP?
I searched for the architectures of Access point and WLAN controller as devices but I end up getting the Wireless network architecture. If some one knew better on this, I would appreciate your help if you could give the architectural detail of these in device point of view.
I also read that each vendor will have different specifications to his AP and Controllers. What are all the specifications which can be varied is my doubt i read through some of them but not all. Could some of you help involving in the discussion and help my study go further please.
with thanks,
Tejaswini

Please refrain yourself from cross posting! Your other posts have been deleted.

The discussion might have continued from here.