OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: hootoo nano password recovery

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello:

i have a hootoo nano running openwt whose password i have forgotten and cant seem to recover it. i have read (and attempted) to access failsafe on the router both by hitting the reset button at multiple points and by trying to find the correct point using a wireshark capture. no luck. in fact i cant even find any packet that seems to match the failsafe announcement.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
j

ok- after a few more attempts i was presented access via ssh. here are steps i used:

1 Power off the device
2 Set a static ip for the device you are connecting from on the 192.168.1.0 network
3 Open a command prompt and start a continuous “ping 192.168.1.1 -t”
4 Connect a cable to the router’s LAN PORT
5 power on device
6 ping will fail throughout the boot cycle, but there is a small window when the device will respond to ping, at that time press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds, connect to LAN PORT, and you can connect to the device on 192.168.1.1

hitting during the first few ping responses was the key. also, i think i only hit the button once rather than a long hold down.

good luck!
j

(Last edited by jaschoon on 10 Mar 2017, 22:40)

The discussion might have continued from here.