OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can't ping 192.168.1.1 (Ubiquiti AirRouter)

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello guys.
First of all I am really new to this so beware if I say some kind of nonsense. I have installed OpenWrt on my Ubiquiti AirRouter (FW v5.6.2). I followed this guide:
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/airrouter
And used this firmware to flash:
downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-airrouter-squashfs-factory.bin
Everything went well, the firmware has been installed but when my router restarted I couldn't login to 192.168.1.1 via web. I understand that you call this "admin panel" as LuCi. I tried to search for some info about it and I've stumbled a topic that not all builds has LuCi installed and that I have to do it myself via telnet or ssh. So I tried that but failed because I can't connect. I am using macOS so I headed to my system preferences -> network and saw that I don't have any IP assigned to my router (what I can see is only IP Address: 169.254.212.1 and Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0). So I've tried manually changing my IP to 192.168.1.2 and router IP to 192.168.1.1. Still nothing. I also tried pinging 192.168.1.1 but got a message "no route to host". Oh and I used terminal for telnet, ssh connections and also pinging.

I don't know if that's helpful, I've tried to tell everything. I really wish you could help me with my problem. Hope I didn't brick my router.

Thank you!

EDIT: my router's lights are flashing like normal. And it doesn't matter if I connect my ethernet to LAN or WAN port, I still get the same IP assigned.

(Last edited by Kash on 23 Feb 2017, 12:21)

Can you telnet/ssh to the router and run:

opkg list_installed
stangri wrote:

Can you telnet/ssh to the router and run:

opkg list_installed

I can't. I can't even ping IP 192.168.1.1. When I try to do that I get "no route to host" message in Terminal.

Even with static IP? Doesn't sound like flashing "went well", sounds like it didn't.

Can you ping yourself, IE 192.168.1.2?

It might sound like a silly question, but I think it could help establish whether your problem is around your workstation or router.  To have another host to ping to verify that everything is ti top on your pc would also answer this question.

I can't ping 192.168.1.1 nor 192.168.1.2. What I can do is ping my assigned IP address (adding screenshots where you can see it).
i.imgur.com/6x6djex.png
i.imgur.com/z8ADJKJ.png

Thanks for posting the screenshots... so now we're getting somewhere.  Unfortunately, its no closer to fixing your router.

BUT that might not be your problem anyways.

You DEFINITELY have an issue on your workstation.  the 169.254.0.0/16 address space is ... almost definitly not from any DHCP server.  IE it is like the screenshot says 'self assigned'.

If you set up a static IP address and you cant ping YOURSELF from a console, then ... there is little point looking elsewhere for any problem as nothing is even getting out onto the wire.

I hope that helps ... keep trying.  I suggest trying another workstation if one is available, as a 'sanity check' for basic connectivity before you spend more time looking at the router.

NB if this has solved the issue at hand, PLEASE edit this topic title to start with [SOLVED] so we all know to focus elsewhere.  Cheers.  :)

(Last edited by sil5er on 24 Feb 2017, 00:41)

sil5er wrote:

Thanks for posting the screenshots... so now we're getting somewhere.  Unfortunately, its no closer to fixing your router.

BUT that might not be your problem anyways.

You DEFINITELY have an issue on your workstation.  the 169.254.0.0/16 address space is ... almost definitly not from any DHCP server.  IE it is like the screenshot says 'self assigned'.

If you set up a static IP address and you cant ping YOURSELF from a console, then ... there is little point looking elsewhere for any problem as nothing is even getting out onto the wire.

I hope that helps ... keep trying.  I suggest trying another workstation if one is available, as a 'sanity check' for basic connectivity before you spend more time looking at the router.

NB if this has solved the issue at hand, PLEASE edit this topic title to start with [SOLVED] so we all know to focus elsewhere.  Cheers.  smile

I'm sorry, english is not my first language and I don't quite get what do you mean by saying "workstation". If you mean my computer by that - it is fine, I use another router and everything works fine. I had this one laying around and I just wanted to make it work as a WiFi repeater for my sister because the signal is weak in her room. That was my main intention smile

Anyway, I have tried to manually set my IP address to 192.168.1.2 and router's to 192.168.1.1 and I could ping myself (192.168.1.2) but no luck with the router's IP. When trying to do that I did get a different message than before - it was "no route to host" before and now I get "host is down". Adding the screenshot down below:
i.imgur.com/e7JM3cG.png

(Last edited by Kash on 24 Feb 2017, 01:04)

no problem there, your english is pretty good.  yes, by 'workstation' I do mean computer.

and that is good that you have different result now, IE being able to ping yourself with static IP address.

which pretty much confirms your original problem is real, IE router has a problem.  at this point ... I will let others assist, as I new to the whole flashing of firmware thing, and am having problems of my own and not a master with OpenWRT.

sil5er wrote:

no problem there, your english is pretty good.  yes, by 'workstation' I do mean computer.

and that is good that you have different result now, IE being able to ping yourself with static IP address.

which pretty much confirms your original problem is real, IE router has a problem.  at this point ... I will let others assist, as I new to the whole flashing of firmware thing, and am having problems of my own and not a master with OpenWRT.

Thank you anyway for trying to help me. I really do appreciate it smile

Suggestions? Anyone? I have no idea what should I do next. Or should I just throw away this router because it is unusable?

Anyone?

Help please?

Kash wrote:

Help please?

You have a basic network problem, obviously you can't log into what you can't ping.  No one can really help you until that part is resolved.

try a different cable or port on the router (not the wan port obviously), until you can ping 192.168.1.1 you aren't going to get anywhere.  Does the router have lights on it for the lan ports?  does it light up when you plug in your cable?  Are you sure you are plugged into the right place on the mac if it has multiple ethernet adapters?

Another option would be to try dd-wrt since the radios on it are enabled by default you can log in via wireless if you can't figure out your hard wired network.

btw barrier breaker is old and you should use chaos calmer or a snapshot

(Last edited by WWTK on 30 Oct 2017, 03:20)

WWTK wrote:
Kash wrote:

Help please?

You have a basic network problem, obviously you can't log into what you can't ping.  No one can really help you until that part is resolved.

try a different cable or port on the router (not the wan port obviously), until you can ping 192.168.1.1 you aren't going to get anywhere.  Does the router have lights on it for the lan ports?  does it light up when you plug in your cable?  Are you sure you are plugged into the right place on the mac if it has multiple ethernet adapters?

Another option would be to try dd-wrt since the radios on it are enabled by default you can log in via wireless if you can't figure out your hard wired network.

btw barrier breaker is old and you should use chaos calmer or a snapshot

Thank you for your reply!

I tried a few cables and different ports, it is the same. When I connect my WAN cable to the WAN port and when i connect my macbook to the LAN port those lights show up. So I can get to 3 lights on the router - LAN, WAN and power. As for the macbook - yes, I'm sure because if I plug in my WAN cable straight to the macbook using the same adapter I get the assigned IP and internet works fine, but when I plug the cable going from this router to my macbook it self assigns the IP, because it can't get one from the router. This is why I can't ping myself or login to the router.

How could I install dd-wrt without entering the router's admin panel?

I don't know your router at all but is there a reset somewhere on it? It may be small and recessed.  If so I'd try pressing and holding that for 10 seconds or until you see the router reboot.  Seems like your problem lies there. 

You could also check your upstream router with the wan cable in to see if it is getting an address and if so try to get in the router at that address.

As far as how to load the router without the web interface if it is possible it varies by router..  maybe tftp or a special cable.

(Last edited by WWTK on 30 Oct 2017, 13:06)

If I remember you have to downgrade Ubiquiti stuff to their OS 5.5 before flashing OpenWrt or it will brick. 
It should have a TFTP recovery mode.  Use TFTP to flash back to stock 5.6, then use the 5.6 web interface to install 5.5, then flash OpenWrt.

mk24 wrote:

If I remember you have to downgrade Ubiquiti stuff to their OS 5.5 before flashing OpenWrt or it will brick. 
It should have a TFTP recovery mode.  Use TFTP to flash back to stock 5.6, then use the 5.6 web interface to install 5.5, then flash OpenWrt.

Ok so I did that but strange thing is happening now. I can connect to my router via TFTP and put the firmware there. I can see the LEDs flashing meaning the firmware is being installed and when it finishes my router gets stuck in some sort of restarting loop. It turns on and after a few seconds turns off and starts again.. Because I can't do anything when it keeps restarting. I've tried 5.5, 5.6 and 6.1 firmwares but the result is always the same. Any ideas?

(Last edited by Kash on 31 Oct 2017, 04:05)

The discussion might have continued from here.