OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to build OpenWrt for Raspberry Pi 3 to act as a router

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm trying to build OpenWrt for Raspberry Pi 3 such that it behaves like a typical router including a web interface for administration/configuration.

I couldn't find a pre-built image for the Raspberry Pi 3, so I used the instructions on the wiki page OpenWrt Wiki » Table of Hardware » Raspberry Pi Foundation » Raspberry Pi (and at least one other wiki page I found) to build my own image from the github repository (commit 871372c42a3fc9c4b33f5c6011742d610a2e5600, dated 2/5/2017).

The image does run on the board, but there is no web interface. Are there build options that I need to change in order to make the board behave like a full-featured router with a web interface? Right now it seems like the default build options just get the board up and running as a standard embedded system.

So I don't understand, have you run

make menuconfig

?
You can also see LEDE.

So I don't understand, have you run

make menuconfig

Yes I ran 'make menuconfig' and selected my target system as the 'Broadcom BCM27xx', subtarget as 'BCM2710 based boards', and target profile as 'Raspberry Pi 3 Model B'.

I didn't change any other configuration options while in menuconfig. Should I have?

Am I under the wrong assumption that OpenWrt can make a Raspberry Pi 3 behave like a router with a web interface?

@ulmwind Thanks for the suggestion to try LEDE. I tried out the latest LEDE image and it works well on the board and provides router functionality with a web interface. I still want to get OpenWrt running on the board though if possible.

Out of curiosity I also used the LEDE image builder to build an image, and found that the default build also didn't provide a web interface. Looking a little closer, I noticed that additional packages could be included via the image builder.

I suspect that the web interface is an optional package in LEDE, and similarly in OpenWrt. If this is the case, how could I find out which packages are required to get the full router-like functionality I'm after with web interface in an OpenWrt build?

daveberg, web-interface is called Luci. In menuconfig there should to be option Luci. It comes from feeds-luci (you should run

./scripts/feeds install -a -p luci

initially). OpenWRT also has ImageBuilder, I don't know, if it exists for the case of Raspberry Pi 3.

(Last edited by ulmwind on 22 Feb 2017, 20:40)

ulmwind Yes I just tried a build with 'LuCI-->Collections-->luci' enabled, and the board now does have a web interface like I needed.

Thanks for your help with this!

daveberg, have you ever included LuCI manually in another configuration successfully?

In manual to LuCI there is instruction how to install LuCI offline:
packages_base="liblua lua libuci-lua libubus libubus-lua uhttpd rpcd"
packages_luci="luci-base luci-lib-ip luci-lib-nixio luci-theme-bootstrap luci-mod-admin-full luci-lib-jsonc"

Have you checked in menuconfig the package luci-base?

(Last edited by ulmwind on 22 Feb 2017, 22:09)

daveberg, have you ever included LuCI manually in another configuration successfully?

No I haven't, this was my first endeavor to build OpenWrt.

Have you checked in menuconfig the package luci-base?

Yes I believe luci-base is enabled by default, and is currently enabled in my menuconfig. It was the luci collection that I needed to enable.

Again, I appreciate your help and I'm now moving on to my next issue regarding IPv6 address lease hosting (SLAAC + DHCPv6). I'll post a new thread momentarily.

The discussion might have continued from here.