OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Is my router bricked? HELP PLEASE!

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I was trying to configure a TP-LINK 941ND router with WDS to connect with another modem/router and couldn't get it working.  I installed OpenWrt and it was functional, but no luck with WDS.  So, I tried a bunch of strange settings trying to get it to work and locked myself out.  The last setting I toyed with was bridging the WAN, eth0, and LAN3 ports.  After making this bridging change, when I attempt to connect to the router via web browser, I briefly see a black screen with LUCI white text in the top left corner, but then the rest of the GUI fails to complete loading.

I tried the reset procedure (wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe) and the modem light blinks suggest I did it right, but I still can't connect to the router on 192.168.1.1 (supposedly reset value) or my non-reset setting 192.168.2.1 with a web browser, telnet, or ssh.  The modem blinking lights appear to behave normally like the modem is working, but I just can't connect to it.  I see other suggestions regarding a serial cable, but there is nowhere I see to plug one in.  My computer trying to fix this has Windows installed.

Any ideas on how to fix this or have I bricked this router?

drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t2Bzlo1bKpYnNnWGJVUDhtdFk/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t2Bzlo1bKpcXJfWEdCRWNHSkE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

I'm very new here, but I'll give me 2c worth....

Firstly, serial cables are normally attached direct to the board inside the router case, ie need to unscrew it... AND have the appropriate cable (highly recommended btw, as theyre damn cheap now!).

As for your issue ... can you ping it ok?

Unplug any ethernet or USB cables, plug in power cord and allow the router to boot up fully.  Then press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds-- until all the lights flash.  Let go of the button.  Wait for full reboot.  You should now be back to default configuration.

On a few models you use the WPS button instead of the reset button.

(Last edited by mk24 on 23 Feb 2017, 18:17)

sil5er:  ping does not work
mk24:  reset button has no effect when pressed as you describe.  it does work however using the published reset procedure, in so much that the blinking lights indicate reset mode was effective, but I still can't ping or otherwise connect to the router.

Any other ideas?

The discussion might have continued from here.